PDA

View Full Version : Importing text from Autocad

wooddr
02-19-2005, 06:03 PM
I am drawing some test files for my soon to be arriving PRT 96 Alpha, and when I import them into part wizard 2 any of the text doesn't show up. I am saving the files as Autocad 12 dxf files and everything else shows up just fine. Is this a limitation of Part Wizard 2, or can someone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong.

I imported the file into Rhino Cad evaluation version and it worked just fine.

Thanks

Dirk

Brady Watson
02-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Dirk,
Try exporting the DXF in AutoCAD v14 format, and check off "export text as curves" (or the opposite...export text as text) when the dialog box comes up.

-Brady

wooddr
02-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Brady,
I am using autocad 2004 and I don't have the option to export to Autocad 14 DXF. Only version 12, 2000 or 2004. I have tried using different fonts and different colors as well as saving in all of the above formats.

Thanks

Dirk

Brady Watson
02-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Dirk ~ 2 things...1st go to the download section on the SB site and pull down the DXF import fix.

If that doesn't work, then try pulling it into Rhino and then export it as a DXF. It may encode it differently.

-Brady

hwd_woodworking
02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Dirk,
If you have autocad express tools You can use explode text (from the express menu)and it will import straight into part wizard. We import the drawing in and don't have to save it down. We are using autocad 2002.

Nate

wooddr
02-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Brady,
I did the import fix but I put it in the wrong folder, so that did fix the import on the regular text.
Nathan, I did just figure out when using curved text in xpress tools that you have to explode the text before exporting, and when I save to dxf format I can't save in 2004 version, but it will save in 2000 or version 14.
Takes a lame person like me a long time to figure these things out. Thanks for all your help.

Dirk