PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this?

robinsoncr@naxs.net
03-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

We have been using eCabinet Systems more lately for cabinet design. They want you to buy a Thermwood router to run off the software. But we're picking up a used Shopbot....

Anyway, eCabs allows us great flexibility in designing cabinets/projects and then will filter and next all the parts, optimizing panels.

Thermwood doesn't have the software set up to export in dxf. I think their routers take iso standard g-code. It does allow me to print the nested sheets or produce a jpg directly from the screen of each nested sheet. I don't know how to attach a picture here. I can email it to you if you wish.

Question - Is there a way to use this to create a shopbot file? I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice. I had taken a 15wk Autocad course about 5 years ago and hadn't used it since. So all of that knowledge is gone. I recently picked up TurboCad and am trying to familiarize myself with simply tasks. So, any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris Robinson

papadaveinwy
03-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Chris if their program does save in g-code then just save then run a conversion on the shopbot under g-code David in Wyoming

gerald_d
03-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Chris, ShopBot provides a G-code conversion utility free with every ShopBot. This thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/31/113.html?TuesdayJune119990346pm) is dedicated to it and this thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/board-search.cgi) also helps. But you will find many more references on this forum if you do a keyword search (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/board-search.cgi) on "g-code" - (type the quotation marks (quotes) in to the search box as well.

robinsoncr@naxs.net
03-19-2003, 09:13 AM
David and Gerald,

eCabs exports it's cnc file as a ".TWD" file. I think they export the data under that extension and then their post processor at their machine uses the data.

So, what I have to work with is a color picture of the nested parts. I'm not sure if I can use this picture of the nested parts and get to a shopbot file that I can use. The picture does have detail, like grooves for back, dadoes, shelf pin holes and cutter path. It would be nice if there were a way to use it without buying the $6k add-on package from Cabnetware or a $70k Thermwood router!

If you guys don't mind, I'll email you a copy of the nested parts. Maybe by looking at it, you can help?

Thanks,

Chris Robinson

gerald_d
03-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Chris, could you mail one of those .twd files as well as the picture?

bill.young
03-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi Chris,

The following is from the e-cabinet web site FAQ...

Q. Can the software be used to create programs for any other CNC?

A. No. The software relies on the "Rolling Nest" to function properly. The "Rolling Nest" programs must run within the CNC control and Thermwood's 91000 SuperControl is currently the only control that can run this software.

That doesn't mean that you can't convert it to be readable by a ShopBot, but since it was developed by Thermwood I'd bet they didn't make it easy to use anything other than their machines!

Bill

gerald_d
03-20-2003, 12:47 AM
Chris, Bill seems to have predicted it quite correctly. The .jpg resolution is way too low to try and convert and the .twd file has been coded. Here are pieces of the files, in case another SB'er is more optimistic: (the jpg is original resolution)

Ç7ôð2€7Þ¥¦gÑ“pW`÷V,˜ms¼yÙ<[…s
‹v~Ûèºâ™ækÅd_$
(ñ´K‹<ÆfBÃ
ô¸wÃdY‚±¹
PçõÑs0Æ‚…#©} N}#~xº|áOÚ5ãÓÙZ_²ÿÒ™JKl&µ;Ÿ³í·_â‚ù-ê6àŽþÈ,G*W`Íü¡ˆDÄœ“Ñ+}Çeî0Ð:û‘*­^rn!é[EÛL¤í ž4+3Ó:Žþ#ÄeÇïíµ·‚Aü ’8³½oEšBÇ’U-’íöm—¹s¬&1 6Îð7èRóã"Wûƒ ? JìùØ0zën0‰ÛšÇfwM_à;&¾Rà§,ì­ŸÑåÔèå6
SZ»©lMÍãax

rgbrown@itexas.net
03-20-2003, 07:51 AM
It would be "one more step" but, the JPG file could be put in RHINO (or any other program that will allow "over tracing") and manipulated.

Pull the individual parts into VECTOR and put on the "Rhino developed" layout.

bill.young
03-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Hi Chris,

Their FAQ also says that it generates a cutting list and dimensioned drawings...what sort of info is in those?

Before you put a lot of time into trying to get a ShopBot to work with their software, though, you might check out any restrictions you agreed to when installing it. It looks like you have to be connected to the internet to use e-Cabinet...it would be a bummer to put a lot of work into it and find out that you've broken the user agreement and have the software shut down.

Just a thought,
Bill

papadaveinwy
03-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Chris why don't you use something like AutoCad or even turbocad and then there is no proublem. if youlike the fact that you can do walk thru and such for your customers then get a cheep kitchen design software from Walmart etc. with turbo cad you can do all cab profiles drill points etc. (But e-cabs buying power sounds great) David in Wyoming

robinsoncr@naxs.net
03-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help. eCabs requires internet access for installation but not use. The nesting diagrams are for those cabinet makers that do not own a Thermwood router. My understanding is that when you have a Thermwood router, the file is sent to the machine and all nesting/optimizing is done at the post processor. To my knowledge, I'm not violating the licensing agreement.

eCabs does output a cutlist. You can't export but you can copy and paste. Of course, my Cabnetware software will export it's cutlist in a format that is acceptable to excel etc. I wonder if there's an optimizer out there that will nest and export in dxf?

There's a couple of reasons for not just using a autocad or the like. 1. I have $6k invested in Cabnetware which does a very good job at designing and providing accurate cutlists. 2. Time is precious and if I have to spend alot of time to get the cutfiles I need for shopbot, I've lost any advantage of using the cnc. 3. My skills in drawing in a stand alone cad SUCK! I just purchased TurboCad and I'm trying to learn how to draw a rectangle of the dimensions that I want! That's not the shopbot's fault...

I thought that it would be convenient and efficient if I could use the nested parts diagram that eCab's provides. BTW, when you export the picture of the nested sheet, you can select the pixel resolution. The image above was at 100% size and I think it was 1079pixel high and 970 pixel wide.

For the standard cabinets, all of our cabinet side panels are the same. Only the tops, bottoms and stretchers change in length. If I can re-learn how to use cad, I could create a library.

Thanks for all of your feedback and help!

Chris

gerald_d
03-21-2003, 01:25 AM
(The jpg I showed above, was only cropped smaller. I cropped off some words at the bottom. The resolution is the original quality, that Chris says was 100%)

normand@sculpteur.ca
12-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Would http://www.blender3d.com be good to do 3d .I dont have the experience yet but I am willing. It import and export dxf. It is free and has many forums.

davidallen
12-19-2003, 11:56 PM
no