PDA

View Full Version : Script fonts will not toolpath in PW2

terryd
06-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I generally do not get involved in ornate signs et al but a good ( paying) customer wanted a large sign for the restrooms. 1' x 5' Cherry with lettering in English 111 Vivace BT. Showed them a print out of the drawing in PW and collected a deposit to make it quick. Went to do the toolpath and guess what... Doesn't work.. Keep getting the message 'Two or more of the selected vectors overlap each other'. I am assuming that since this font is V carvable then it should work... am I missing something????

Terry
All the way up the creek and no......

jeff_rowley
06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Usually the script files are still individual letters with the 'tails' overlapping. You need to go into 'vector editing' and use the union features (top left of the tab) to turn this into a single vector. I'm not at my system right now so unfortunately I can't walk you through it.

It can be a little tricky on letters with a central hole (o's, e's, etc). If I remember correctly, ungroup these letters so the outside vector and the hole are seperate. Then join the outside vector with the neigboring letter and then group the holes back in when you're done. Hope this helps. The script fonts take a little more work, but will still v-carve beautifully.

rcnewcomb
06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
You may also try selecting every other letter and tool path, then go back and select and toolpath the letters that weren't toolpathed the first time.

mikejohn
06-02-2006, 11:31 AM
What you can do (posted ages ago by someone, sorry can't remember who) Is to select alternate letters, toolpath these, then select the remaining alternate letters and toolpath these.

Edited to say: slow with the old keyboard again

.........Mike

terryd
06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Jeff,
Thank you but once you edit the vectors they are no longer fonts and cannot be V-carved. Tried it as soon as you posted.
Randall and Mike,
Thank you gentlemen your approach was so obvious that I had to wipe the drool of my keyboard before it shorted out. Duuuuhhhhh! The sign should be finished before I finish typing this...God I love this forum ....Remembered why I boought the bot....
Most appreciative..

Terry.

jeff_rowley
06-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Oops, one of the annoying differences between Part Wizard and ArtCam. Sorry. Randall and Mike's way is quicker and easier anyway... I'll be trying that way in the future.

Glad you got it to work.