PDA

View Full Version : Program for Indexer

waynelocke
05-12-2002, 11:17 AM
I bought an indexer at the Jamboree and am having to raise the rails on my PR machine to make it fit so I have not actually used the indexer. It seems from reading the download and playing with the file that you can only do straight turnings with the SB software. Specifically, how can I make a spiral on a curved turning. Is anyone using other software with the indexer. I got the indexer to increase the possibilities that the Legacy mill has, specifically not being limited to straight pieces.
Wayne Locke

rgbrown@itexas.net
05-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Wayne,

First, let me say I do not have an indexer. I have given it considerable thought as the auxiliary axis is not a 'continuos move' thing and I plan on having the need for similar moves.

One solution I decided on was to use the "Y" or "X" axis for the auxiliary(depending on how my indexing device was setup).

I guess one could set up some wild cutting files by switching the axis to where you needed them. The geometric possibilities could drive one crazy.

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:rgbrown@itexas.net)

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

bill.young
05-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi Wayne,

I'm not sure but I think you could do it in a 3d program like Rhino, by drawing it as if you were cutting a flat file around a cylinder. Draw the lengthwise profile of the turning with the X axis along the length of the turning and the Z axis the height (distance from center). Since your indexer is connected to the Y-axis, you would add the rotational (Y axis) part by rotating and scaling the profile in the Y axis so that it became a real 3d curve.

Let's say that your profile was 6" long, varied from 1" to 2" in radius, and you wanted two complete revolutions in your spiral. You would rotate and scale your profile in 3d so that it was still the same dimensions in the X and Z axis' but was now 7.2" in the Y axis. This new 3d curve is what you use to create your toolpath (in Vector maybe). You may get some distortion of the spiral as the diameter of the blank changes... if so you might have to try changing the unit values with changes in the diameter.

Hopefully this drawing will make more sense. The blue curve is the original profile and the red curve is the same profile rotated and stretched to add the Y axis component. The red curve will be used as the toolpath for your spiral.

imserv@imsrv.com
05-12-2002, 09:19 PM
For simple engraving on cylinder kind of programs and for spirals (flutes), the Shopbot software for the indexer works very well. You can also use the Vector flat layout and substitute the Y values with scaling.

Vector can also output 3D contoured cutting paths from it's wrap cylinder function. This requires the Vector rotary option and we don't recommend that unless you really need to make the 3D stuff.

If you want to carve 3D objects, there is a also a function in StlWork2 (Totem Pole) that creates a spiraled DXF file, offset for the tool radius. This DXF file can be imported into Vector oriented to the X axis and then The Vector rotary option will create 3D rotary code to carve the shape. It generates X-A-Z coordinate values as M3 and J3 commands directly from a Shopbot rotary driver.

There will also be added capability with the Vector Nurb surfacing, but it is too soon to tell how that will affect the rotary capability.

Fred Smith IMService

waynelocke
05-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Fred,
What is the Vector Rotary Option.
Wayne

imserv@imsrv.com
05-12-2002, 11:46 PM
The rotary option is actually 2 capabilities that are not included in the standard Vector. One is a setup that makes simultaneous cutting of 2 linear and one rotary axis, like would be required to run the Shopbot Indexer for making complex 3D shapes. This is the most popular use. The second is a capability to do similar cutting, but instead of the work turning like on the indexer, the Spindle is hinged, like the 5 ax Shopbot. The second option can position all 5 axes to a prismatic face (make the tool perpendicular) and will then generate X-Y-Z code to machine that face or it can create X-Z-A code to tilt the spindle hinge during the cutting and create a 3D surface using those movements instead of just X-Y-Z. I believe it attempts to keep the tool at a constant angle to the surface being cut.

Fred Smith IMService

waynelocke
05-13-2002, 12:16 AM
How much is the rotary option and will it work with Vector 8.
Wayne

debekker
05-19-2002, 05:18 AM
I have an old rotary attachment from a sherline mill with stepper on it.. I plan on setting it up to work on my Shopbot.. Question is.. You say the shopbot program will not run an continuous A axis. Is this because controllor cant do it or the program cant interpet it.. I was going to use Mastercam and it is capable of writing commands for 5 axis.