PDA

View Full Version : AutoCad LT Line Thickness conversion

c_hoose@email.msn.com
05-06-1999, 10:29 PM
Perhaps someone could give me a little assitance. Currently using AutoCad Lt and have tried assigning line thicknesses and then converting the drawing in hope that the Z-Axis will be set. For some reason can,t amke it happen. Any suggestions? Thanks

robin
05-07-1999, 01:33 PM
Try using different colors for your lines instead. When you run the dxf to sbp converter you will be prompted for a z height per color.

c_hoose@email.msn.com
05-12-1999, 09:48 PM
Robin,
Thanks for that suggestion, have already done that, thought that the convertor would set the z-axis automaticaly if you assigned line thicknesses when drawing in Auto-Cad Lt.

Chuck

robin
05-13-1999, 12:54 AM
Chuck,

You could always write a little utility to do it ... I've got the DXF file format definition from Autocad if you want. Or better yet, send a request to Gordon or Ted at Shopbot to add the feature to the next version of the converter. While we are on the topic, it would also be nice to have a conversion file with a table of z heights for various colors and line thicknesses. That way you wouldn't have to enter them each time you run the converter.

Ted Hall, ShopBot
05-13-1999, 10:45 AM
Hi Robin,

Both good suggestions ... and noted on the development list.

c_hoose@email.msn.com
05-15-1999, 09:56 AM
Robin,

Thanks for the info on the DXF file format definition from AutoCad. If you have that info readily available in could be useful.

This is another question and thought about the convertor. If you export the file using a given line thickenss and then convert it as a 3-D file will the convertor then be able to interpet the line thickness. Should the line thickness be in plus incriments or will it be able to interpet it in minus ones as well. Just a thought! Thanks again for all your help.

Chuck

Ron B
05-16-1999, 03:08 PM
Chuck,

If you convert the output to HPGL, you can specify pen color as depth in the HPGL .int file which defines the depth of color, according to the documentation.

I think it will be handy to send output for a bit without changing the drawing. The various combinations could be run as a series of files under one 'master file', complete with prompts.

Still working on understanding the HPGL- .exe file right now.

Ron

bruce_clark
05-17-1999, 02:00 PM
Ron,

If that is the HPGL converter that I am thinking
of, maybe I can uh...umm...be of assistance.

What part of the HPGL program do you need help
with. I know the documentation is a little weak
right this very second, but I would very much like
some suggestions on how to improve/expand the
documentation.

Any other questions about the HPGL format ect.,
let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centuryinter.net (mailto:bwclark@centuryinter.net)

joejeppesen@hotmail.com
06-01-2000, 01:32 AM
To set the Z hieght in AutoCad LT use the "elev" comand. you will be prompted for a new Z value and then a new Z thicknes. I would assume that for a cutter path you would want the Z thickness to be zero, but I have no CNC experience.