PDA

View Full Version : .SHX format fonts?

b1705@bellatlantic.net
05-05-1999, 10:41 AM
I just saw the new turbocad v 6.0, and on the packaging it mentions "25 Autocad compatible, mono spaced .SHX fonts". Does anyone know if by any chance these might be similar to the 'single stroke fonts"many of us are looking for? By the way the price at Staples for version 6.0 was $79.95, pretty good for a new version.....

seaside@esva.net
05-05-1999, 12:44 PM
Bill,

Sorry, unfortunately it won't work. These fonts were available in version 5 as well, and they are TurboCAD's answer to the funky way that AutoCAD handles fonts. They look like they have potential when they're on the screen, but if you explode them they turn into whatever your default font is. If you save them in a dxf file without exploding them first they are a "text" item, and can't be converted. Since they can't be exploded, you can't even trace over them by going from node to node!

I think that the answer to your single-stroke font problem is to find someone with one of the fancy sign software packages that's willing to do a centerline trace of a couple of fonts, maybe saved as dxf files. Then they could be brought up in a CAD program and shuffled around to spell whatever you want.

Any volunteers?

Bill

robin
05-05-1999, 06:05 PM
There is still hope:

I found a program called Fontasm which converts PostScript and Truetype fonts into AutoCad shx/shp, Generic Cadd, Visual Cadd, and dxf files. The difference between Fontasm output and simply exploding text in Turbocad is quality of output. All curved surfaces are generated with a series of Arc commands instead of straight lines.

The developer (Gordon Gibson at ggibson@istar.ca (mailto:ggibson@istar.ca)) has had several requests for a TrueType to single stroke font converter from CNC people. He is planning to put this feature in his next version. I'm on the beta list and will keep you posted of any developments though I imagine the more people that request the feature, the sooner he'll add it.

rgbrown@itexas.net
05-06-1999, 03:30 PM
Robin,
I have Visual CADD v3 and the fonts from my old Generic CADD program. A quick count gives me more than ten 'single stroke' fonts. I have a total of 52 'explodable' fonts now.

I recommend Visual CADD as a good 2d program BTW. But, I must admit I'm spoiled because I'm an old Generic user.

giggalo
05-06-1999, 04:40 PM
Me I use normal text save as a dfx, open it up in paint shop pro, save it as a bmp then use my raster 2 vector program to convert and then I have the whole set to place where I want. so far I did 27 sets and they work fine.

Ron

PS: If anyone would like to see them let me know and I will post them on my site for download

http://rngengravers.com/HelpFiles.htm

or send me the font and the name of it "I MIGHT HAVE IT" and I will do it for you, that way you don't have to go out and get a $3000.00 converter.send me email it you want some done.

robin
05-07-1999, 01:26 PM
Ron B,
Do you know whether the Generic CADD font files will work with TurboCad? Is it legal to use the font files from Generic CADD in Visual CADD? If so, how much does Visual CADD cost? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm very keen to find a flexible Single Stroke font system.

Ron B
05-08-1999, 04:22 PM
Robin,

As far as I know, Visual CADD owns all rights to Generic CADD. They do have a converter. Also, Visual CADD has a few single stroke fonts on their own.

Visual CADD is an IMSI product and offered a $99 upgrade from Turbo Cad. I own an extra Generic lisence also, probably two, and three various IMSI cad product lisences.(sp?)

I have really be happy with Visual CADD. One of the developers is also offering (free) some TrueType fonts.

Several Links follow without comment.

http://207.181.222.15/forums/index.cfm?CFApp=213&

http://www.vcaddtoday.com/

http://www.visualcadd.org/

The Visual CADD today link said the $99 deal would end on 15 May. IMSI has a 90 day 'if you don't like it you get your money back' policy.

HTH,
Ron

edcoleman
05-10-1999, 11:13 AM
I don't have a shopbot (??yet??) but am looking into it. I like the active user community and am trying to get a handle on the software etc.

As far as single stroke fonts, I have a graphics program that will do centerline tracing and would be glad to do a few for some folks to see how the process works out. If anyone is interested, send me the *.ttf file (or if it is a "standard" font just tell me the name). I'll post a dxf file containing the centerline traces.

Now for the cost....I'm currently using the beta version of the new release and am having trouble getting the hpgl and tif convertors to work. If I understand correctly, these are not included in the beta release but the software is floating around out there somewhere. Is this available? If so, how can I get a copy of these convertors?

Also, one of the types of uses I see for the machine is 3D relief carvings. Any info on this area of use would be interesting. For example, what programs are people using for their 3D modeling, what file transfer type (3D dxf ? bitmap with levels of gray indicating depth ? ) etc.

Lastly, does anyone have any comments on the "digitizer" that is offered?

I'll appreciate any info provided.

Ted Hall, ShopBot
05-13-1999, 10:43 AM
Hi Ed,

I'll post you copies of the converters a little later today.

The final release of Version 2 should be out in the next week or so. We are just finishing up documentation. We will package all the converters with it. The download will be a bit larger.

On the digitizer ... see the sample 'probe' file that should be in the beta software you have downloaded. This is a bare-bones digitizing routine that you can elaborate on in a number of ways. You can use electrical contact with a conductive shape, a probe/switch of your own design, or our probe. There is nothing magic about ours ... just a convenient package w/reliable sensing. We expect to offer an optional 'Probe Software Tool' that will provide a more extensive array of probing and data smoothing features, though the bare-bones version here should give you a feel for how it works.

I'll leave it to others to comment on other 3d approaches ... I expect Gordon will shortly post an example of an impressive project he did with SignLabs 3d centerline trace feature.