PDA

View Full Version : Is Aspire for me?

jporter
12-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I am new to CNC programs and machines, but I have had some luck with PartWorks for cutting out flat pieces, etc. I have seen the comments on the new Aspire program and want to take advantage of the introductory price if I can use it. I am wondering if the Aspire program will let me purchase a pattern, such as a wood carving from a website like www.carvingpatterns.com (http://www.carvingpatterns.com) and convert it to a 3-D program to cut on my ShopBot. Am I on the right track? If I have to design the pattern my self, then I think it will not be for me. However, if I can work from a design, then maybe I can do it. Basically, I am talking about trim for furniture to decorate it and make it stand out. Any help in this would be appreciated, joe

zeykr
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
You can start with a bitmap drawing from carving patterns. The sofware will assist you in converting it to vector format, then you can use the vectors as a basis in Aspire to create a 3d item. BUT, it's not usually quite as simple as pushing a button and getting a usable 3d image. I'd recommend getting a sample from carving patterns website and downloading the Aspire demo and seeing if it's for you.

Speaking of trim for furniture - You have seen James Booth's flourish collection at www.vectorart3d.com (http://www.vectorart3d.com) haven't you? Aspire can also be used to combine pre-existing 3d files like those available from James.

dana_swift
12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Joseph- I looked at the site you posted the link for, they have excellent "two dimensional" patterns for hand carving. While you could convert them tediously to 3D models for CNC cutting, it would require a fair amount of work for each one.

I suggest you look into various 3D models for CNC you can buy elsewhere, the results will probably be closer to what you are expecting.

The models at http://www.vectorart3d.com/ should work just fine with Partworks3D, and will be even easier to use with Aspire. I have both aspire and partworks, Since getting aspire, I don't use partworks at all, since Aspire is the same program with many more features, especially for 3D.

Aspire is a great program, but awkward at a few things that seem ill thought out. I wont post my complaints here, but suffice it to say I have some..

D

jporter
12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys for the reply. That is the kind of information I need to make a purchase decision. It seems a shame to pass up this high of calibre software at the special price they are making us if purchased by Dec. 31. I still don't know what to do, but maybe I will take Ken's advice and try the demo. As I have said before, my efforts at computer programming are like a 4 year old's, but a 4 year old born in 1947, not 2004. Thanks, joe

bleeth
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Joseph: If you are going to start with any line drawings to build a 3-d (actually 2 1/2-d since all machining is done from the top) all the cad cam programs work better with vector lines than bitmap or jpg's. A reasonable price collection is the vector art collections offered by www.vectorart.com (http://www.vectorart.com) and shop bot. Personally I like the first Mega collection best. Whether you are using Aspire, Rhino, Artcam or Mastercam the process to turn lines into good looking reliefs (dimensional art ready for tollpathing and cutting) is a pretty good learning curve. All of these programs have their plusses and minuses, but the bottom line is that the more expensive ones like Artcam Pro and Mastercam have abilities that the others do not when it comes to extreme fine tuning of sculpted designs. If you have the time and interest to delve deeply into the learning process then I would go for the best you can buy. If you only have needs for an occaisonal 3-d design then the advice above is good. If you want to learn something that may open up a whole new world of possibilities then I would get Aspire if that was what I could afford and Artcam Pro if I could afford it. I strongly suggest finding users in your area and communicating directly with them. As any serious purchase, your needs drive the decision. I think you should check out the web sites and forums of both.

burchbot
12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
HiJoseph
You have until Jan. 31 to buy.
This was taken from the Vectric forum.
After reviewing the requests here on the Forum and the messages from customers who have contacted us directly, we do appreciate how the worsening economic climate and bad timing with Christmas being around the corner, may make it a difficult time for many to be purchasing Aspire.

So in light of this the introductory discounted Aspire pricing for both Upgrades and New customers will be available until the 31st January 2009.

We hope this helps and will email the information to customers.

The Vectric Team

Gary Campbell
12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Burchtree...
Nice to see another Yooper on here!
Gary

burchbot
12-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks Gary
I live in the banana belt area. Gladstone to be exact
Dan

Gary Campbell
12-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Dan...
Marquette here, but went to school in Happy Rock in the 60's. Go Braves! Happy Holidays
Gary

jporter
12-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks, David and Dana. I checked out the Vector Art website and am starting to get a glimmer of what you-all are talking about. What was a real find though, was that the designs I liked so much on the carving patterns website were by Susan Irish, and she has 10 pages of designs on the VectorArt website. What a find! Thanks so much for you-all's help. joe