PDA

View Full Version : Partwizard toolpath frustration

toolhorder
04-15-2007, 10:08 AM
We are still using the original Partwizard package that came with our shopbot. I'm pushing for an upgrade to something else, but for now this is what we have and it has worked great for what we use it for...until now.

Nested parts.

We have a fairly complicated small part with multiple toolpaths for several features: holes, stopped grooves, etc.

The part was drawn in Autocad, saved as a DXF and imported....All was fine. I tested toolpaths on the single instance of the part to make sure that there wern't any problems...all was fine and samples were run. We nested the parts to fit as many as possible on the 48" x 48" working area of the machine...all was fine.

When features are selected and toolpaths generated, it skips many of the features even though they were highlighted and part of the selection for the toolpath generation. When I just select a single feature (one that didn't get a toolpath generated when all identical features were selected) it errors and gives me "there are no points !"

What is the dealio with that?

I went so far as to re-draw the entire job, 24 parts in all, in autocad and import the whole kit-and-kaboodle....same error.

I've tried EVERYTHING, except that thing that works.

Any advice (besides an upgrade...I know that already) would be GREATLY appreciated. I have today to figure this out and parts have to start being milled tomorrow, even if that means milling them one at a time (which will take weeks instead of hours), which I know works fine.

Thanks!

Eric

toolhorder
04-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I just did some testing on the entire nest again.

Three columns of 12 parts. The far left column of parts (which was created from 2 mirrored parts and then copied and pasted to form a column of 12 parts) works just fine.

When I try either of the other columns of parts I get this error:

Error: Tool Path Manager Library
[TPM1003] Drive picture contains no points!

only 2/3 of the selected features of the second or following columns of nested parts get correct toolpaths calculated.

Interesting and yet frustrating at the same time. The non-working columns were created from the single column that works just fine.

oddcoach
04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
a quick fix is to write the file for the first column that works. then create a master file that uses the first file then jogs to the right the uses the first file again with a 2d offset. you can then repeat again until you fill the sheet.
you could try just drawing the part once in autocad
then import into parts wizard. and copy and rotate with the parts wizard tools instead of autocad.
it sounds like something is being corrupted. or partswizard just doesn't understand some of the data manipulation that autocad is doing when it gets brought over
hope this helps
john

Brady Watson
04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Eric,
If you e-mail me the file I will take a look at it for you.

-B

toolhorder
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Update:

We are just running the working column of 12 nested parts repeatedly...which isn't too bad. If all three columns worked we could mill 36 parts at a shot. In a fit of rage/frustration I deleted the nonworking toolpaths or I would email them to those generous with their time and expertise.

This is for a course in advanced manufacturing. This class designed a prototype of a product and developed a production system for making production runs of it. We all made assumptions that we could easily nest our working single part file decreasing manufacturing time and increasing profit. That messed the system up quite a bit, but that's the way it goes. Most classes don't allow for failure....I think students learn more from failure than success most of the time anyway.

We also are finding that a vacuum system would be great. Our single prototypes came out perfect because of their small size. Cutting out full sheets is giving us fits in terms of our allowable tolerance of cut depths...that and inconsistent material thickness.

All in all though I think it is going pretty well. I've never required the use of the ShopBot in this particular class before. Doing so this year gives me an idea of needed upgrades for making it more flexible for several courses including a CNC intro course.