PDA

View Full Version : Dxf file not readable

old_post_frank
01-29-2005, 08:46 AM
I have a dxf file that was produced using Corel and when I try to import it into Vector, I cannot see the image. I can see it in Corel and when I open the dxf file with an editor, there is data there. Even when I 'view all' in Vector, there is nothing. Any ideas???

Brady Watson
01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Are the vectors white? Do a ctrl + A to select all...and see of there are handles anywhere. View All, just views to the part extents.

-Brady

billp
01-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Frank,
Corel is notorious for letting people think they have saved their info in a format which is really either a .dxf OR an .eps. I have had a number of files sent to me which were as un readable as you suggest. It came down to having the sender go back into the program and exporting the info as a different version of .dxf ( I believe it was an older version), OR doing a similar process and saving it as an older ".ai"( Adobe Illustrator) format. A lot of graphics guys use these formats but don't require the same info we do, so they won't have an issue with their data...

srwtlc
01-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I have used three different versions of CorelDraw (7,9,12) and I have never been able to get a .dxf from it to Vector that was totally acceptable. I use TurboCad as a go between with .dxf or .eps from CorelDraw and then save from TurboCad as a .dxf. I've had the best results with .eps's though. If you want to see something funky, try opening a .dxf saved as AutoCad R11 from CorelDraw 12 then look at it in the default 3d view. Imagine how two layers 5" apart in z can mess with your mind in Vector while working from a top view ;-)

robtown
01-29-2005, 12:39 PM
I always use .ai from Corel (.ai version 6) Corel has ALWAYS had issues with DXF's.

old_post_frank
01-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I read the file into corel and saved it as an Autocad 9 dxf file and all is well. Always great help on this forum.

old_post_frank
02-04-2005, 08:48 AM
I got a few steps further in the process. Actually, I finished the job and it looks good. Now for some questions about Vector. The file sent to me was saved in Corel 11 as both dxf and cdr format. After defining the tool paths, I generated the shop bot code and had no errors. I then opend the .sbp file with a text editor and discovered that there were many, many .cg commands in the file. These were circle cuts of a 2" diameter and were imbeded on every other line. What gives? I made the assumption that the cause was related to the original Corel file and merely deleted the .cg commands. By the way, the parts came out perfect. Thanks again for the help.

srwtlc
02-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Frank,

To be more specific, are you saying that you deleted these cg's before test running the file? If you would've run it without deleting them it would've gone through the motion of cutting these "loops". I don't know what version of Vector your using, but with version 9 you need to go to options/units in the NC window and set your dialog digits to "6". Then try generating the code again. You should now see that your code goes out six places after the decimal point. Also, make sure you are using the right post file which is "shopbt2g.cfg".

On a side note, .dxf circles ans arcs from Corel come into Vector as segmented entities and you need to do an "arc spline" to smooth them out by turning the segments into multiple arcs.

Hope this helps.