PDA

View Full Version : Vector Clipart

annetts@mb.sympatico.ca
09-18-2001, 11:04 PM
Hello

Does anyone know of any sites which would have some vector based clipart to download. Our school shop is looking for some to use with Mastercam and our Shopbot.

Thanks in advance

mike

rgengrave@aol.com
09-19-2001, 12:17 AM
Mike I have about 100,000 or so what patterns are you looking for?, I could email you some, if you have coreldraw you will find some in the clipart folder.

Just let me know.

Ron V

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
05-01-2003, 02:08 PM
I picked up a Dover Clipart CD. The only file types included are TIFF, PICT, WMF, JPEG, GIF, and BMP. Wintopo can find the edges, but doesn't smooth the "jaggies" out. Manually tracing is one option, but for these images, pretty tedious.

Any suggestions?

gerald_d
05-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Isn't wmf a vector format? (all the rest are rasterised/pixelised bitmaps). This topic is often discussed all over this board - I've lost track of what format is what.

gerald_d
05-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Okay, I've done some homework. WMF is vector format and my AutoCad LT2000 reads it fine (Insert -> Windows Metafile).

A Google search (http://www.google.com/search?q=vector%2Bclipart&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N) let me to this (http://www.clip-art.ru/indexx.html) Russian site, amongst others.

05-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks Gerald. I get a fatal exception when I try that. No luck in Vector or Rhino either, but at least I know it can be done and where to look.

gerald_d
05-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Time to upgrade your AutoCAD LT!

johnknight@canada.com
05-02-2003, 08:16 AM
Hello,
I am researching to act as an adviser to a fellow who wants to set up a wood sign business using the Shop Bot.
I have done some CNC machining know, A.cad and Mastercam, somewhat.
Just graduating from college in Wood Processing and Engineering tech. I am looking to be a consltant to samll business as cited above and to enable private parties to enter the new technologies out there.
This a long term goal of mine, as I realize I have much to learn, and will need to build up experience first while working in the industry for an established employer.
For now, this assistance I am giving is a learning example for me and would apreciate help in how to set up such a shop. I am doing a business plan for this person.
Any assistance given me I hope to extend to others done the line.
Thank you, John

imserv@imsrv.com
05-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Sheldon,

Open the file by inserting it as a picture into MS word or most any Windows word processor. Select it and Edit-Copy. Then in Vector, Past-Special, select metafile geometry.

RasterFratz will also open WMF and paste them into Vector.

Fred Smith - IMService

11-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Well,

The Dover CD's were a waste of time and money.

Does anyone have a sample of a WMF file that they have used successfully that they could email me?

I'm most interested in Calligraphic Ornaments.

Thanks in advance.

kerrazy
11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
is it a specific logo I could help you with?
Dale

11-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Here is kind of what I'm looking for
{Calligraphic Ornament}

11-03-2003, 10:17 PM

ckurak
11-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Sheldon,

You might take a look at the Vector Art(TM) Mega Collection (from Holmes & Cottrell Graphic Technologies) that ShopBot sells. I believe it includes about 6500 art pieces in both .ai and .eps formats. It includes lots of decorative borders, ornaments, cartoons, alphabets, pinstriping, illustrations, vehicle graphics, etc.

These files are specially designed: "Every image is composed of a perfect, closed vector path. There are no open paths, crossed or intersecting lines in any Vector Art(TM) image." (Taken from page iii of the Vector Art book.)

I haven't used any of these files myself (no Bot, yet), but if ShopBot sells them, I would expect them to work fine.

Charles

gerald_d
11-04-2003, 03:06 AM
Sheldon, have you seen this one (http://www.fotosearch.com/aridi/calligraphia/ARI114/)? Not recommending it, simply saw it while googling around.

kerrazy
11-04-2003, 07:19 AM
Sheldon,
I will look through my stuff today and see if I that design.
If not I will try and redraw it for you.
Dale

gerald_d
11-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Dale, I think Sheldon is using that one as an example only. I recall redrawing that one for him a long time ago. Don't start the redraw till he confirms it

bjwat@comcast.net
11-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Sheldon,
"Every image is composed of a perfect, closed vector path. There are no open paths, crossed or intersecting lines in any Vector Art(TM) image."

Not 100% true...I often find that there are lines that cross over that need to be edited from the Vector Art Collection. (IE EPS Folder #4, image #25) But all in all, it's a very good collection.

-Brady

johnandrhondawebb@netzero.net
11-05-2003, 04:45 AM
I've used the Corel Gallery 1 Million (has over 120,000 pieces of vector art on 16 disks). High quality on some, weak on others. Also IMSI MasterClips 1,500,000 has a ton too- from good to ****. Both have search engines, & large catalogs, so I can find what I'm looking for fairly quickly. If needed, I quickly clean with Draw11. Price is considerably less than Vector Art, but it looks like Gallery may be an e-Bay item as it doesn't look like Corel offers it any more.

11-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the offer Dale, and thanks again for your earlier re-draw efforts Gerald. I'm hoping to find a reliable package that's at least 90% there with 10% or less cleanup. The Dover package is pretty low res and requires 100% re-draw. Tracing a single thickness line is not too difficult, but trying to trace the subtlties of variable width arcs scanned at low res is pretty tough.

grandpas@ix.netcom.com
11-09-2003, 02:54 PM
just discovered that I have an engraving library of over 10,000 logo's and images that I purchased about 9 years ago. Only problem is that they are in .PLT format. Which software program will convert these to usable format preferably .dxf for parts wizard inport?

Dale Grabowski - Grandpa's pastime

bill.young
11-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi Dale,

PLT is the extension for HPGL which is the format for Hewlett Packard plotters. My copy of TurboCAD says it will open them...I'll be glad to give it a shot if you want to email one of them to me. You might also try out the ShopBot HPGL convertor.

Bill

edwardmc
11-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Dale

TurboCad's free lerning Edition has PLT listed under there open. And You Cant beat the price.

stickman
06-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Guys,

I am looking for a couple vector art roses. I've got a millwork supplier that wants one or two in a Door Key.

I would appreciate a little help on this one. I have found a few or can scan my hand drawn rose into the computer and trace. Would like to try some of the vector that is out there, preview to see if its worth buying.

Thanks, Jay

Brady Watson
06-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Jay,
You have mail....unless your Hotmail account is full...

-Brady

Ryan Patterson
06-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Jay,
Most(clip art)windows meta files .WMF are vector based. Autocad will open the files for editing.

Ryan

dingwall
06-11-2004, 10:27 PM
You can buy clip art one image at a time from Roland's site. It's the cleanest clip art I've found.