PDA

View Full Version : Flipper help

jporter
10-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Folks, I am totally frustrated. I have researched the previous posts on the "flipper" function and read all the notes and helps I can find, but I still cannot make this thing work. I am trying to make a flipped outline of a column that I drew in PartWorks. I want to carve this with a .125 ball nose bit in a piece that is 3" x 3" by 24" long. I can center it on the material and it will run, but it just air cuts. I have zeroed it to the top of the material, the center of the material and the table and nothing seems to work. I am leaving some stuff out, but basically I am asking is: How do I make this thing work and please talk to me like I am 4 years old. If your are wondering why I am wanting to do this, I think this would make a good pattern to go by if I go ahead and mount it on a lathe, then I would have a profile to turn to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, joe

tparr
10-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Go to the following Forum thread, it looks to be helpful - Let's Talk ShopBot » Techniques for Cutting, Drilling, Machining » Archives » Archives2007 » Turning a tapered column - if you have been there, please disregard.

jporter
10-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes, I have checked it out with no luck. Maybe someone else will respond . joe

myxpykalix
10-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Joseph,
I assume you want to make a full scale model completely round that you will use as a template for your lathe?

Or are you looking to make a flat stick profile that some type of template follower will ride to copy the profile on your lathe?

Do you have an indexer and are wanting to make it on there or on your table?
Since these are totally different techniques knowing exactly what you want to do will determine the best answer.
Maybe if you have a picture or file you can post or send might help.

jporter
10-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Lordy, I don't know what to say. I think it is like a flat template. I actually want to cut the profile with the 1/8th " ball nose bit into the top of the actual 3" x 3" piece I will then put on the lathe. This cut will run down the center of the turning so that I will have a guide to actually turn to on the lathe. I don't have an indexer or a table mounted lathe. I will make the cut and then move the piece to the lathe and turn the rest by hand. I am missing something somewhere. I have drawn out the profile and made the tool path and run it on the previewer, but when it comes to actually cutting it on the turning blank, the tool path runs above my work piece. I cannot get the thing to find the correct zero for the z axis. thanks, joe

myxpykalix
10-20-2008, 01:45 AM
I admit i am somewhat confused by what exactly you want to do. Can you draw this out on a piece of paper and copy the paper and post it?

When you create a file in your software make sure you are Zzeroing your bit to the top of the material. Then when you set the file up to cut, and your material, make sure you Zzero the bit to the top of the material.
Send me what you have toolpaths, dxf, pics, whatever and let me see if i can figure out what the problem is.

jporter
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I will try, Jack. But taking pictures and sending files is like senior level programming to me. This may take a little while to study. I will give it a try, though. joe