PDA

View Full Version : StlWork for 3D contouring

imserv@imsrv.com
05-22-2001, 09:44 AM
We have just started a public beta test of the new StlWork version 2.0. It has a direct SBP output for Shopbotters. New features include "Waterline" tool paths. These are cuts that are similar to the lines on a contour map. They let you increase your feed rate and do not use the slower Z moves nearly as much as the traditional "raster" style cuts, that just move back and forth. This type of cutting uses the side of the bit where the highest RPM is available and can make heavier and smoother cuts.

We would like to invite interested Shopbotters to participate.

http://www.stlwork.com

Best Regards, Fred Smith - IMService

olivier
05-22-2001, 05:04 PM
Stl works does not seem to have any roughing facility or I am mistaken ?
Thanks for details.
Olivier

imserv@imsrv.com
05-22-2001, 05:47 PM
StlWork 1 has Z level passes with the roughing, and can also do the same with finishing. Either can be in X or Y directions.

It also has logic to pick up the tool and rapid over any area that has been previously cut. If you were cutting a mountain, it would "jump" over any previously cut areas, rather than continuing to recut the entire mountain at each z-level roughing pass.

The new one of course will cut around the mountain, rather than trying to go just from side to side no matter the profile to be cut.

imserv@imsrv.com
09-01-2001, 09:19 AM
The StlWork beta is in the final phase. The present version is likely to be the initial released. We have added in slabbing to create multiple layers from material to glue up a model that exceeds your cutter length or your Z axis travel, also a "totempole" function that creates radial rings that can be used with the Vector-cam rotary 4th axis driver. There is also a rendered display of the model and the part after cutting.

The Shopbot driver outputs directly to an SBP file. There will likely be a beta tester's discount for those providing feedback before release next week.

We have also posted a table of low cost 3D modeling programs on the StlWork website. There are over 2 dozen design programs listed for under $1000 that are compatible with StlWork.

imserv@imsrv.com
09-19-2001, 09:19 PM
StlWork2 is released. As a little surprise we added "no flats" at the end. Using a raster strategy, this cuts a model down to a defined plane in 3D, but does not cut any of the flats out to the rectangular shaped, cutting strategy boundary.

The waterline cuts are also organized so that one peak or dip is completed before the next one is begun, unless material on a shared level is to be cut.

StlWork2 outputs directly to .sbp files from a 3D solid model.

We have a 30 day full working demo available. thanks to the many Shopbotters that participated in our public beta testing.

Jay Wiese
12-04-2001, 05:31 PM
Just wondering if any ShopBotters out there have used StlWork and/or DeskProto. I teach high school drafting, and in the advanced classes we do quite a bit of solid modeling. I am trying to work the ShopBot into some of my design assignments because the students need to see their designs become reality. I have tried the DeskProto demo and it seems powerful and fairly easy to use. I would, however, appreciate some input from anybody that knows more than I do about either or both of these software packages.