PDA

View Full Version : Re-sizing

noah@noahsart.co.nz
04-23-2003, 03:12 PM
I am new to Vector, being an Illustrator user all my graphic life (On the Mac)
I have an issue with Vector 9 I cant figure out. When I need to resize an object in Illustrator you select it, type a final size in X and Y in the TRANSFORM pallette, and the object scales up or down to that final dimension.
In Vector I have found a proportional re-sizer, but how do you end up with a final dimension without a maths degree, or indeed lots of trial and error?

ron_cleaver
04-24-2003, 06:31 AM
With Vector, you have to select the object you want to resize, then cut and paste it. When you paste the object, a dialog provides a variety of options, including displacement, rotation and scaling.

noah@noahsart.co.nz
04-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi Ron
I understand that bit, and I have been there already. But when I come to paste, what I get is a scale to paste in, with reference to the previous size. What I need is an overall length from say far left to far right of the overall object. ie say you have to cut the word TEXT along the X axis, and it is currently 637mm from the beginning of the first T to the end of the last T. I want this to be 1000mm exactly. How do you do this? I wouldn't have a clue how to evaluate the scale needed.

gittel
04-24-2003, 03:54 PM
If the original object is 637 mm wide and you want the new object to be 1000 mm wide, cut the object to the clipboard (^x) and then paste the object (^v).
When you paste, Vector brings up the "paste" dialog, which allows you to offset and scale the pasted object. You can actually type "1000/637" in the "scale" field, and Vector will calculate the scale factor for you. Alternatively, you can use a calculator to divide 1000 by 637.

Mike

noah@noahsart.co.nz
04-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi Mike
That is really helpful. Thanks.
HOWEVER what if you have imported the file from a client and do not know its dimensions? How do you measure these exactly?

gittel
04-24-2003, 05:01 PM
In Vector, to determine the bounds of an object, select the object and choose "Special/Verify". This will bring up a dialog which tells the X, Y, and Z bounds of the object, or of the group of selected objects. To determine the x length of an object, subtract the left bounds of x from the right bounds of x. You can do the subtraction right in the scale dialog, right along with the division. For example, if your object goes from -.168 (left x) to .144 (right x), then its length is .312 (.144 + .168). If you want its length to be exactly 2 instead of .312, you would have to scale it by (2 / .312), which is 6.41 (chopping off a bunch of decimals).
Vector's paste dialog can do all the calculations for you, or you can bring up a calculator. To change the object from .312 inches wide to 2 inches wide, type the following into Vector's scale field in the paste dialog: "2 / (.144 + .168)". Vector's calculator does not seem to be able to subtract negative numbers, so I had to change the denominator to (.144 + .168) which is equivalent to (.144 - -.168).

You can also find the dimensions of an object by putting the cursor at a point on the object and noting the x,y,z values in the status bar. The verify dialog is more accurate.
You can also find the dimensions by inserting a dimension object. This can be tricky for text. I think that the Verify dialog is best. I wish Vector put the dimensions in a text field on the Verify dialog so that it could be cut and pasted.

Mike

noah@noahsart.co.nz
04-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi Mike
Okay that makes sense. As you say, wish vector did that for you. After all this is why we got computers in the first place

BTW Illustrator also have a really simple visual scale device. You click on a locus point from which to scale the selected object, then drag the mouse away/towards this point. The object scales up and down before your eyes. Meanwhile you are reading the changes in another pallette as they happen. Pressing shift at the same time scales proportionally. I guess I was expecting the same sort of simplicity from Vector.

gittel
04-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi Simon,
I agree that Vector has some funky features. It's not a great design program. I end up using Vector for "cookie-cutter" types of jobs because it's convenient to have one program which can have some CAD features (design) and some CAM features (tool path generation) all in one program. It gives you exact control and viewing of the sequence of the toolpaths. Use other programs like Illustrator or AutoCAD for the design work if that's more comfortable for you. You can import DXF into Vector and then output SBP.
Mike

imserv@imsrv.com
04-25-2003, 12:07 AM
"I wish Vector put the dimensions in a text field on the Verify dialog so that it could be cut and pasted. "

Available in version 9.3 and later. Ctrl-C to copy.

Fred Smith - IMService