PDA

View Full Version : Pocketing path problem

shuttle
07-20-2001, 12:08 PM
I am trying to do raised lettering, the letters are fairly close together and when I generate the paths, they overlap.
I can do a pocket on the individual letters, but when I try 2 letters together it fails to generate the paths. Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

imserv@imsrv.com
07-20-2001, 09:38 PM
Vector is very logical about the pocketing process. Try to use a smaller tool than the distance between the letters, and make sure that if you allow material for stock distance, that you still have enough clearance for the tool to pass between the narrower gap.

You can try to do an offset around the letters to see if they will allow the tool to pass. Use the tool radius for the distance. If the offsets are trimmed before they pass through the gap between the letters, your tool is too big.

The horizontal pocket is more forgiving than the spiral for pockets with islands. If you rotate the coordinate axis, temporarily, by 90 degrees, you may be able to get the passes, which will now be vertical with respect to the letters, to pass through the letter gaps.

shuttle
07-20-2001, 09:59 PM
Thanks Fred, I'll try those tricks, I did make the offset smaller and eliminated the overlap, and it worked, I did end up with a lot of extra movements though, but it was my first go at it. What are the 'teardrop shaped' paths that are generated?

swims@mindspring.com
07-21-2001, 09:13 AM
The teardrop shaped paths are your 'approach and depart' movements. Approach and depart movements are for those frequent situations where it is preferable to start your cutter away from the cutting path before plunging into the material, and move away from that path before lifting up. When pocketing, look at the bottom button of your pocketing dialogue window to find the parameters for those teardrops. It is easier to learn how it works by playing with the separate function available for adding those to paths... look on your CAM tools menu bar.