PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot G-code

hwd_woodworking
04-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Hello,
I have been dabbling around with trying to learn how to write parametric part files. In other words, there would be IF/THEN commands in the code. and user INPUT numbers.

The First question is... IS there any books on writing g-code that can help me with this. I basically need to know a hand full of commands (or so I think) and I've seen some of what other people are doing so I am fairly confident that it can be done. In a nut shell if a parametric program could be writen for say cabinet sides and the user inputs depth, hieght, drawer hieght..etc then all the other parameters would be the same. Obviuosly I would have to have input on the bits I'm using as well but those would be a constant as well untill you sharpen them.
6 base cabinet sides fit nicely on one 4x8 shee, so my next hurtle would be a very basic nesting program.

I have writen a program the physically writes code in excel. This was for leading out inside corners after using a v carve. I then do a copy and paste and open up a file part do a save as and then paste my new code in there.
I know this is very primitive but in time I think it can be polished up to something that could be very useful.

Whitch leads me to my next question. Is there a way to link excel to a file part or part wizard. Or am I running in the completely wrong direction?

Nate

bill.young
04-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Hey Nathan,

Here are some quick thoughts...

*) If you just want to use the commands in the ShopBot language you might contact David Buchsbaum and see if he'll send you the drilling routine that he's working on...you'll learn a lot from it.

*) If you have the newest ShopBot Windows software there's a routine for surfacing your table top in the Virtual Tools folder. If you look in the Developer Tools folder you'll find the Visual Basic 6 source code for 2 different versions of it. Even if you don't plan on working with Visual Basic it might give you an idea of how it might work.

*) There's a Programming Handbook available for download on the ShopBot site that tells you how the various ShopBot programming commands work. It's been a while since the manual was last updated, but it's pretty current.

*) ShopBot doesn't use g-code but instead uses it's own more "conversational" language that is much easier to understand. If you look for info on g-code you'll just be confused.

*) If you can make it to the Jamboree this year there will be a couple of programming sessions.

Hope this helps,
Bill

bob_anderson
05-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Hello,
I'm considering acquiring AlphaCam standard mil. I would like to know if the G-code can be converted to the ShopBot or if there is a post-processor that will allow me to save toolpaths in a .sbp format. I know there are other programs that are available but I am more comfortable with AlphaCam.
Bob

Brady Watson
05-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Bob,
If my memory serves me correctly, another botter bought AlphaCAM (for sometihng ridiculous like $15k) and they wouldn't make a post processor for his Shopbot. Because of this, I am hessitant to recommend the program for use with the bot. I don't see why you couldn't do a g-code to SBP using any generic g-code (like fanuc) out of AC.

I suppose the best way to test compatability would be to have AC send you a test file that YOU specify...send them a DXF to process with let's say a 1/4" bit ~ then try using the SB converter and see if it works...all of this of course, before you buy!

My feeling is, if you are going to shell out that kind of $ for software, then they better serve you a proper post processor on a silver platter.

Is this the cabinet software or the WoodPro software? If the latter, then ArtCAM may be the better choice.

-Brady

bob_anderson
05-08-2005, 05:39 AM
Brady

This is the cabinet software. I'm reluctant to buy without some assurance it will cut properly. I'll see if I can get AC to send me a test file.

Bob

bob_anderson
05-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Hello,

Well I have tried to output AC cutfiles using a fanuc post and a dxf post. Shopbot will not convert either one since they are in a .anc or .fan file extension. I have not tried to contact AC. If any one knows if a AC post processer exisits, I sure would like to know.

Bob

paco
05-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Robert!

Have you tried to just change the extension to ***.NC of the file(s) you wish to convert?... I got this to work on some files...

Brady Watson
05-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Robert,
Paco has a valid point. Open it up with notepad, and click Save. When the dialog box come up, choose the dropdown at the bottom so that it says SaveAs files of type "All Files". Then save the AlphaCAM file like this:

"alphatest.nc"

Include the quotes. This will change the extension.

-Brady

bob_anderson
05-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Paco & Brady

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Bob