PDA

View Full Version : How to make special sticks

hermygator
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok guys lets see how we should approach this one.

I have an "artist" that wants some sticks made. Sticks is defined as ....well it looks like a tree sapling with the bark sanded off about 1.5 diameter at top tapers down to .75 at bottom. A natural walking stick for a person about 3 foot tall. She is one of those native rendouvous people. Oh I bet its a native warclub or tomahawk handle.
There is no great detail or bends to this thing it has nice even flowing lines and gentle curves that flow along a relatively straight path to the tapered end.
This is what I have
48x96 prt, dual z
an unassembled indexer from 2003
a probe , partswizard
and a version of millwizard.
I want to put this thing on my indexer and probe it along its length then take that point cloud to millwizard and get my tooling paths. Since everything is nice and gentle I figure I can use a 3/8 ball nose or maybe a 1/2. I checked and I can take this "stick" and pass it through a 1.5 inch ring and not touch any of the sides. So figure I can do these out of 1.5 inch square stock. Oh and for speed sake she wants 100 of them.
Now being my use of the indexer millwizard and probe is nothing am I on the right track and will millwizard make efficent tool paths out of a point cloud. Throw some of the pitfalls I might encounter at me and let me know what you think especially you indexer people

myxpykalix
08-26-2008, 04:32 PM
maybe if you have a picture you can post would be more helpful for us to visualize.

If you do it on the indexer because it is not a straight taper having not seen it i would guess you will have to use a "carving" strategy on it.

Do a search for "Christian Magro" and he posted some pictures under some indexer questions showing how he "carved" some balusters.

You might be able to use the wizard in virtual tools to "carve a shape using a dxf profile" (I think is name of it).
If you want to send me a picture I can see if i can create your shape easier than probing it.
If you make a picture it has to be taken square to the object with nothing around it to confuse the lines of the object like patterns on a rug or shadows around the object.
Contact me and we'll discuss it.