PDA

View Full Version : Mitered doors

matt_raymond60
10-17-2009, 09:34 PM
I am getting close to making the decision to buy a mighty ShopBot and am trying to ask questions now rather than after I buy something that won't do what I would like it to. Is there a way to do mitered cabinet doors on the ShopBot? We have a Unique machine in our shop for doing standard raised panel doors but I need to get into mitered doors. I know that some of the local shops do them on their cnc machines but no one has offered to show me how they do it since right now I subcontract them to build those doors for me.

Also, is there someplace on this site that the "beginner" topics are grouped together? I don't want to bother everyone with questions that have already been asked.

Looks like a great site with lots of very helpful people!!

Matt

thewoodcrafter
10-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Matt,

I use my ShopBot to cut cabinet box parts.
I would not consider using it to make 5 piece doors.
I guess you could but I think there are better machines for that.
By far the best application is box parts and by far the best software is E-Cabinets and ShopBot Link.
Within E-Cabinets is an option to make 5 piece doors. I have never looked at it.

Welcome to the community.

myxpykalix
10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Matt,
There is no beginners section. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. The point of this forum is to help the "newbies". I asked many many questions that have been asked many times before and others answered them and now that i am a "veteran" i try to help by answering many of the same questions i asked long ago. And in 6 months you will be answering the next generation of new owners so don't feel shy about asking anything.
For some cabinet doors like rail and stile raised panel doors maybe the bot isn't the best but i have done fake rail and stile and wainscoting that looks like it was piece constructed.

gene
10-17-2009, 11:58 PM
For a 5 piece door i use the weaver setup. If you are refering to a true miter door and not a cope and stick then you could do them faster with a moulder and a good true miter saw.