PDA

View Full Version : Really thick transfer tape

carlcnc
12-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I get a lot of projects in 1/8 aluminum.dibond and acrylic that invlove many small pieces from a 4x8 sheet,
vacuum ,even at 15"hg can't really hold
onto 30-50 pcs of 1.5x16"
in the past I have used 24" transfer tape applied to back of material then I spray glue this to a piece of 1/8
hardboard[masonite]
Last week I had no hardboard so I just used 3 layers of the tape.that gave me about .015 to play with,worked great.but took too much time and tape.
A few years ago I emailed allstar about making a .02 hightack tape just for this use,no response.

anyone know where we might find an alternative??

Carl

Brady Watson
12-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes. Can the tape. Read up on how to make a mask for cutting out those small parts: http://www.shopbottools.com/Brady's_tricks.htm

If you have 15" Hg at your disposal, you should have no problem holding down small parts if you make a vacuum mask/fixture that directs the vacuum where it is needed.

-B

carlcnc
12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Brady
thanks ,but, that link doesn't work.
I am quite familiar with making a mask,just doesn't work for my situation.
today I need to cut 18 each 1.5x17" ,36@3.2x7.375 (mailto:36@3.2x7.375),
4@ 21x17 rectangles from a 4x8 sheet of 5052.
way too much time to make a mask for a nested set up like this,and the next sheet is different shapes.
onion skinning and tabbing likewiswe take too much time.[edge cleanup]
for now I think I will use the 24" masking
takes 5-7 min to apply 3 layers,parts don't lift
but remove easily.
I was just musing that a single layer about .02 and with a higher "tack"would be handy
thanks
CArl

Brady Watson
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Carl,
Goto www.shopbottools.com (http://www.shopbottools.com) and click on the 'Brady's Tips & Tricks' in the left column. Look at the write up called 'BradyVac II'.

I beg to differ on a mask not working for your situation. I've held parts down as small as .625" X 1" in size. It works and there is no residue or monkeying with tape to deal with. I don't believe in 'onion skinning' and NEVER do this. If the expense of a $10 sheet of luan or masonite and a little time offseting your vectors to the inside is too much, then heavy duty carpet tape is the way to go. I like the Duck brand (also mentioned in the Tips & Tricks section off of the SB main page)

-B