PDA

View Full Version : Drilling

jimtnr@aol.com
03-31-1999, 05:50 PM
THREAD FROM ARCHIVE
================================================== =

i would like to use my router as a drill. does anybody have any ideas on how to hold bits of various sizes other than 1/4 and 1/2?

Doug, One more thought about drilling- a friend of mine once said "Why would one drill holes when you can mill them?"

As long as one has a bit smaller than the hole, and enough cutting length, the "CC" command works for me. And, several size holes can be cut without changing bits.

Doug,
The first job I ever did with the Shopbot was to drill 38,000 1/4 and 3/16 holes. The router is way too fast, even when speed reduced. I used a small 1/8 hp 1725 rpm motor (about the right speed for drills under 1/2") mounted in place of the router and had an adapter made from the shaft of the motor to the chuck. It worked very well and was easy to use. I since set this up as my second z-axis so I can drill and rout in the same program.
Jim Turner jimtnr@aol.com (mailto:jimtnr@aol.com) Honeoye Falls Millwork

Very few drill bits are safe at 20,000 rpm if they get bent. Why not make a simple mount to hold a regular power drill where the router goes. I made simple brackets for my Dremel and power drills. rgds Brian btaylor@labyrinth.net.au (mailto:btaylor@labyrinth.net.au)

Try using PLUNGE type router bits in addition to all the other good suggestions

Doug, a fairly easy and inexpensive solution to your problem might be to make a Jacobs chuck adapter for your router, as long as you are using a 1/2 inch collet system you can have a chuck adapter made with a 1/2 inch straight shank, then you can use just abour any drill made up by using a "Silver and demmings" turned shank, or wood bits. One thing you might need to do is use a speed control to keep from burning bigger drills tho.

Doug, I can see two options, one is have collets built(or make them yourself) for the various size bits. A 1/2 to 3/8 adapter as well as 1/4 to 1/8 adaptors are avalible. Other sizes could be made by drilling out reducer collets or making them from scratch. I have done similar with a drill press and hand saws.

Option two would be to build reduced size drill bits. Some with 3/8 shank and 1/4 shank are avalible. They can be produced by chucking the bit backwards in a chuck and grinding the shank, though achieving the proper diameter is sometimes beyond one's tolerance if the proper tools are not at hand.

I would be concerned about bit length and tool speed in either case. A bent 4" long bit at 30K rpm could get more than interesting.

Be careful, think about what you are creating, and think about making an adapter to mount a drill to do it at the proper bit speed.
Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:rgbrown@itexas.net)

Doug, The folks at ShopBot use a drilling set up, and they mount the drill (any flat topped drill, like dewalts) in side of a piece of pvc plastic pipe with a slot cut out running the length of the pipe. The drill and pipe are then strapped down just like the router is. The pipe works as a clamp. It makes for a quick change over and works very well.
David Fisk BoscoToys@1st.net (mailto:BoscoToys@1st.net)