PDA

View Full Version : Relay Circuit for Router Power

threadfx
09-07-2001, 03:00 PM
I thought I knew how to read a schematic, but I must be wrong...

I tried to build one of them, but as soon as I apply power, the relay trips.

Anyone build one "as-is" from the Shopbot manual.

I just want to make sure before I build another one... :0(

rjguinn@optonline.net
09-07-2001, 07:16 PM
Aaron
I've built several of them from the manual & they work fine.Make sure you use the available leads from your SB controller power supply for 12V +/- to your circuit board & 1 wire from the controller output switch (1-4) to the board.
When you say tripped,do you mean open or closed? This is a function of the output switch condition.Look at the top of your SB screen to see if the selected switch is off or on.If using output switch 1, type SO 1,1 to activate the relay & SO 1,0 to shut it off. These commands should be inserted in your SB cut files to control your router or other device. Hope this helps.
Jeff Guinn
rjguinn@optonline (mailto:rjguinn@optonline),net

jerry
09-07-2001, 07:33 PM
Aaron,

I also have built several from the manual and they work. There is one thing that you will need to be carefully about. If you are using the relays to turn on an off routers and shopvacs these lines are very sensitive to noise spikes. The reason is that the outputs have no isolation or filtering and are connected directly to the microprocessor. These spikes can cause all kinds of wierd things to happen (Lost Communications, relay dropouts you name it). Ted is working on putting optic isolators on these lines for the future. For now the best fix is to install some small bypass caps on all the output lines. This can easily be done at the blue terminal block that the wire are connected to. One end of the bypass cap goes to the output screw and the other goes to the ground screw. If you are using all the outputs you will need four caps. A 0.01 cap will work. Radio Shack has what you need and they are very very cheap. I ran into this problem with the newer PRTs so I do not know if it is a problem with the older systems. If you need any additional help just e-mail me.

One additional note be carefull about how much current you pull through these relays.

I use all the inputs and outputs and then some. It makes it easier for me.

--- jerry

williamim
09-16-2001, 09:55 PM
I have been using SO1 to turn off and on my router for some time. Today when I ran a cut file the router did not turn on but the #1 switch was highlighted. I checked the voltage coming from the controller at S1 and it is 0.05 not 5.00 volts what happened and how do I fix it?

support@shopbottools.com
09-17-2001, 10:26 AM
Bill,

Have you tested the voltages on the other outputs, is it only #1 that fails to go high? Did you do the test with your relay disconnected??

When you figure it out, give us a call, or email support@shopbottools.com (mailto:support@shopbottools.com) ... we can go from there.