PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics Again!

daniel
10-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey Guys,
I've been routing acrylic and love it, I've had desent sucess, but I still have some fuzzy's(from melting I guess), I've used a 120 degree V bit and a 90 degree V bit, both at 14,000 RPM and 1.7inch/sec. The 120 does "ok" and the 90, not so good.

Any Suggestions for Spindle Speed, Move Speed, Or Step over for the 2 bits?

Thanks for suggestions folks!

elcruisr
10-23-2004, 08:09 AM
We found it helps to do a roughing pass and then a finish pass of say .01 to .005. V bits in acrylic have been a bit problematical because the geometry is not really good for the material. Most tools meant for plastics have a very sharp cutting angle which can't be achieved in a v bit. We got our cleanest results by keeping our rpms low and feed rates up with several passes and a small finish pass as described above. Also you want really fresh, sharp tools. We did some neat name plates by reverse cutting the backs which the sign shop filled with color and then applied some sort of patterned vinyl. Good luck!

Eric

gary_n
10-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Eric,
Sure would be nice to see some pics of those name plates, if you have any.

elcruisr
10-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately I'm a lousy photographer and I always seem to forget to get them untill a time like this. For 15 years I built and restored wooden yachts and have maybe a dozen pictures from those days as well. Maybe I'll remember one of these days to get the pictures BEFORE the project is gone!!!

Eric