PDA

View Full Version : Fein Vacuum

Wood Duck (Unregistered Guest)
12-15-2005, 03:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried using Fein vacuums (2 large ones) for hold down. I intend to do cabinet nesting with an Alpha and I only have single phase power. I definately don't want any chatter, so would it be possible to use tabs or onion skinning to allow for a lesser hold down force while still cutting in a single pass? Or am I trying to save money in the wrong area?
Thanks

beacon14
12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
As luck would have it, I just "upgraded" from using a regular old shopvac to a couple of small Fein vacs which I picked up as a result of this thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=312&post=30118#POST30118). The holding power is impressive, to say the least. I plan eventually to make a full table, four zone system using these two vacs and two more, but for now I am quite happy with the holding power. Onion skinning would probably be required as there is a definite limit (and a low one at that) to how much you can compromise the seal of the vaccum and still expect the parts to hold. For production work it may not be ideal but I think you could get by at least until you can justify a more expensive system.

matt_p
02-02-2006, 12:16 AM
I use a fein III on a 60x120 alpha with a 7 zone table and it has plenty of power to hold sheets and even parts as small as 6" dia. I too only have single-phase power and this system works pretty well. oh yeah, and quiet.

ed_lang
02-04-2006, 04:13 AM
Matt,

By any chance do, or could you post pictures of your setup?
Currently I am using a vac pump for small parts but would like to start collecting information about larger area vac systems.