PDA

View Full Version : 2 router on the z axis

hammerhead
08-05-2001, 12:41 AM
how do 2 spindles work on the z axis??? do they both cut at the same time. does one do its job then the 2nd one cuts its portion?? how is the programming end of it??? thanks

dhunt
09-17-2002, 08:05 PM
It's been more than a year now that no-one has responded to Hammerhead's inquiry regarding the operations of two routers on two Z-axes !

I know less than Hammerhead, but I've heard that those who know what they're doing can indeed operate two axes doing two different functions,
(perhaps one going up, while the other goes down).
I suspect however that most people's venture into this area starts with the simple stuff,
like getting them to work in tandem,
presumably cutting TWO identical (small) parts at the same time,
instead of just one, like we're accustomed to.

Cutting IN TANDEM(identical movements)should be simply the sending of the contents of the same cut-file to both axes that they carry out the same commands, in unison,
so let's start with that.

Perhaps there's more at VECTOR's excellent Forum
- you can get there via..
http://www.imsrv.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

dhunt
09-18-2002, 06:59 AM
Ooops! - seems this discussion is already happening
over at 'Suggestions for Future ShopBots and Software' ... :
under thread "Z and A coordination",
where I've already picked up a few ideas.

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
09-08-2003, 06:26 PM
I noticed Her-saf has left hand cutters.

Does anyone know of a left hand router? I've never seen one.

wayneo
09-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Yes, Terrco Inc. has the K-Star Duplicarver which is a machine that has one motor and two spindles that turn in opposite directions. The design is intended to counter (or neutralize) the "grab" tendency as the operator moves the stylis over the pattern. You must use a left-hand bit in one spindle and a right-hand bit in the other. Naturally they need to be of the same contour and size.

elcruisr
09-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Columbo also makes double ended spindles and Onsrud also mkes left handed tooling.

Eric

harold_weber
09-09-2003, 09:08 AM
I've watched a CNC machine operate with a double-ended Perske spindle. After finishing the cuts with a bit mounted in one spindle end, the z-axis was retracted a bit, and the entire spindle rotated 180 degrees about an axis perpendicular to the spindle shaft axis, bringing the second cutter into position. For these motors, when you want to use the second cutter, you either stop the spindle and reverse the rotation, or you keep it running and use left hand rotation tooling.

harold_weber
09-09-2003, 09:11 AM
I should also mention that the owner who showed me this CNC machine was really proud that he had managed to buy it used, so his payments on it were only $3000 per month.