PDA

View Full Version : Using Indexer to make an internal Gear?

don
05-26-2005, 11:07 PM
I have a customer that needs a couple internal wooden gears. Has anyone done anything close? After i've created my 6 inch diamter post, and bored the 4.5 inch inside diamter, and cutting it into quarter lengthwise (10" in length). Is it possible to machine the teeth length wise on the inside of this radius? And then Glue the 4 quarters back together, and cut to length. Anyone?

bleeth
05-27-2005, 04:29 AM
I did some columns the other week by cutting doughnuts with dowel holes for indexing and then assembled and sanded and that came out ok. They end up with sliding dovetails for a hi-lo table rig and I decided to add those as seperate pieces afterwards.

Dave

Brady Watson
05-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Don,
Why not start with 1/2 square stock and mill the teeth in along the X axis...then glue the 2 halves together. Then just round off the outside in the lathe or indexer? This of course will take some planning on your part to ensure that the 2 halves mate exactly.

-Brady

don
05-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks Brady, I tossed the idea of doing all of that work on the indexer. Sometimes the obvious is hard to see. The gear only needed to be 1.5 long, with the 4.5 inside diamter. I ended up doing a pocket with a .25 Zero flute, and then finished the pocket with an .125 two flute, Did the same with the inside mating gear. works great. Next will attempt a ring and pinion.