PDA

View Full Version : Z axis

joe_shoop
10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I've been cutting the same program every day for 2 years. I cut six identical pieces using the nestpartmaster program. The 1st part cuts fine, the second part drops in depth 1/32", the 3rd part is an 1/8" deeper than the first and by the time i get to the 6th part I am cutting atleast 1/4" deeper than programmed for. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the drop.

mrdovey
10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Bit creep. Remove the bit and collet, get all the dust out of the collet, clean the collet and the bit with acetone to remove all traces of oil and "spooge", and reinstall.

mrdovey
10-24-2007, 12:15 PM
An afterthought: turn off the controller and get out your little plastic Wago connector tool. Check out the ends of the wires that connect your z-axis stepper and re-do the connection (tinning the ends of the wires with solder might be a good idea) if it appears that any of the strands might be broken.

This connection is a weak point in the system and broken strands can limit the power available to the motor - making it difficult to raise your router (but not affecting the gravity-assisted lowering).

If this is the problem, cutting and re-stripping the wires "cleans up" the connection. Tinning the ends strengthens the wires so that the problem doesn't re-manifest later.

I learned this the hard way when the connection degraded to the point that the z-axis driver blew.

beacon14
10-24-2007, 09:10 PM
I also ran into problems with the Wago connector at the Z axis motor. Upon insertion at the factory one of the pins had bent inside the housing instead of penetrating the mating pin, so the connection was working but tenuous - until one day sparks flew from the connector. I guess I was lucky the driver didn't fry. It's definitely worth a look to see if all is in order with the connection.