PDA

View Full Version : V-carving

simon
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi everybody.
If anyone's interested, I've uploaded a short video on youtube of my bot v carving some wood. There is a sheet of stencil vinyl over the surface, and it is carving through it beautifully, without any furring. I went on to paint in the depressions.
Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEQhZA3slk
Ive got spotlights mounted on the x carriage which were a bit bright for the camera in some shots.

simon
11-07-2006, 06:30 PM
And heres the finished item...

jeff_guinn
11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Simon,
Your carving looks great! Unable to view your video-not available. What type of stencil vinyl did you use? Can you provide details about your technique? Was there any lift,tearing or paint bleed?
Thanks,Jeff

jeff_guinn
11-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Simon,
Just tried again & the video was available. Nice job!

simon
11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Jeff
I used ORACAL 810 stencil, the paint was GOLDEN artists acrylic paint. Brushed into the hollows. No bleed, no lift, no tearing. I used Vcarve wizard for the toolpaths. The wood is 2 inch thick pine, the surface was completely untreated, the stencil stuck straight onto the wood surface.
I had to try twice to get the video to play on Youtube as well.

jeff_guinn
11-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Simon,
Thanks for the quick response. Have you ever tried the Avery paint masks? If so,how would compare them? Was the mask cut clean enough to spray at 90 degrees for a sharp outline?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm sitting next to 2 almost full boxes of both types of Avery mask because of less than satisfactory results without a great deal of additional prep.
Thanks,Jeff

simon
11-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I dont really know about the Avery products, but with the oracal I find the mask made with solvent resistance doesnt stick so well. And without the stick, it tends to fray also.
I could spray this one at any angle on full force and it wouldnt lift. A dry first and second coat would help with the bleeding.

jeff_guinn
11-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info.