PDA

View Full Version : Jointing

ljdm
02-07-2008, 05:19 PM
My jointer is down at the moment, going to try the 'Bot. 3/4" white oak boards, any particular type bit/feed/speed combo best suited for jointing oak? Thanks...........

srwtlc
02-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Lou,

I've done this a time or so in the past when the need came up. Basically, I had a bunch of rough lumber and since I don't have a jointer, I needed to get a straight edge for ripping on the tablesaw.

What I did was to clamp the board to a slightly raised platform/fence combo aligned with the X axis and run a succession of shallow passes along the edge until it was cleaned up and straight.

I made a special file that I would put in what the widest part of the board was (zero being the edge of the fence) and at the end of each pass, I could choose to make another pass or quit. I would advance either 1/16" or 1/8" at a time (been so long that I can't remember). At the time I had a standard PRT, so I went as fast as I could which was around 3-4ips I think. Since I only needed a straight edge for later ripping on a tablesaw and not a glue edge, I used a 1/2" upcut rougher bit (the type with the wavy cutting edge. For a glue edge I have used spirals, but you could just as well use a large straight cutter.

I did it in back and forth passes so on the climb cut pass, if you go to fast, you can get some chatter and with the conventional pass you can get some splintering, so it's best to take shallower passes.

As far as feedrate and RPM's, I just went with what looked and sounded the best at the time with a PRT and PC router combo. In other words, trial and error (really no error, just trial). ;-)