PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing a Planer/Jointer and Band Saw.

upsman
10-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Hope i am posting this is in the right area. I am steel working on setting up my workshop and i am looking for some help with choosing a new Planer/Jointer Combination Machine and a band saw for my shop. I have been looking at Grizzy, Laguna tools, Jet, Delta, and others. I am looking for help on what is the best size to have in the shop 10",12", or 16". What company to stay away from. and any other companies i should look at before i make a decision. Again looking for imput of any kind.

Thank you
John

harryball
10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Outfitting a shop can be daunting and it seems everyone has their favorite formula for success. I won't even venture to tell you what sizes you need or companies to choose. I will tell you what has worked for me...

I use a 19" bandsaw, I love the large working area and capability though I admit a 14" would probably suffice for 98% of my needs.

I use a 36" lathe and turn from pens to the full length on it.

I have a 10" left tilt Delta 3HP Unisaw, love it.

Planer is 15" heavy duty.

I do not have a jointer at the moment but was using a 6".

Of course I have a PRT Alpha 4x8 shopbot.

As for companies...
After first hand experience I will not buy ShopFox, Grizzly or Delta non-US made tools, Delta made in the USA have done fine for me. I also tend to avoid the box store brand tools, Rigid etc... except for known disposable applications.

I love my Hitachi miter saw but don't like their drills or planer.

... I think that qualifies as "input of any kind"

:-)

/RB

blackhawk
10-31-2008, 04:57 PM
John - I like having a stand alone jointer. I would suggest an 8 inch model at a minimum. I myself would like to have a 10 inch jointer. For my planer, I have a Woodmaster with an 18" capacity. The woodmaster has been great for me and is American made. I have used it for moulding and drum sanding also. It changes over in about 15 minutes. I have a 16" bandsaw, but since my Shopbot, I have used it once. The Shopbot pretty much makes the bandsaw obsolete for me.

Like Mr. Ball, I do my best to buy American. But I have strayed to the dark side in the past. I own 3 Grizzly machines: bandsaw, jointer, and shaper. I have to say that they have all done well for me. A lot of people have trouble from Grizzly, but my experience has been good. I want to upgrade my 6" Grizzly jointer and have been looking at the 10" Olivers. I believe the Oliver is still American made.

I have the 3HP Delta Unisaw also. It is a smooth running horse of a machine, never regretted that purchase. Even though it took off the tip of my left thumb, but that was my own dumb fault.

upsman
10-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks Guys, for the input any thought on a 5 Function Combination Machine? I saw this one at

http://www.lagunatools.com/combo.platinum5f.aspx#

I have about a 13w' x 12L' space to put it in do i need more room or do you think this will work?

Thank you
John

bleeth
11-01-2008, 07:07 AM
John: Check out Felder for a combo machine.

donchapman
11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm very pleased with my Jet 6" long bed jointer that was reasonably priced at Woodcraft Supply a year or so ago when I bought it.

I tried a ShopSmith combination machine many years ago and it seemed like whatever I needed to do the machine was set up for something else.

I much prefer stand alone machines and even have two table saws so one can be used for cutting while the other is set up for dadoing.

I bought my son in law a SawStop after he cut off the end of one of his fingers on his old table saw. The SawStop would be an awesome saw even if it didn't have the instant brake. It is so free of vibration that a nickle stood on edge on the table as we sawed a piece of wood.

dana_swift
11-01-2008, 09:24 AM
John, I have to say the advise to avoid chinese tools is excellent. They build things to LOOK solid, not to BE solid. Sadly too many buyers dont know the difference.

Don's comment on the SawStop being a great saw even if it wasn't designed for safety first makes the same point in a different way. When things are well built they cost extra, but they work better and last forever.

I have a lot of old Delta tools from the 50's, back when they put iron in them. They are still rugged and just purr along. You can still find them on Ebay.

For another object lesson in how not to run a tool company look to Bridgeport. Enough said.

Shopbot is the clear favorite tool of mine. They aren't designed to pretend to be a great tool. They are just great tools. They aren't made in china either.

A steel working version of a Shopbot would be an excellent shop tool even for us woodworkers. Hope somebody is working on one!

Great tools are still being made, they only cost slightly more than the fakes. The trick is to become educated enough to tell the difference.

D

Gary Campbell
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
John...
All good advice above. Things to remember....

Combination tools are marketed to save either money or space. The majority of them do not do any single task as well as a stand alone machine doing that particular task. There also may be an inconvenient time to switch from one operation to another. The cheaper tools are just that: cheaper tools! Buy the best you can afford.

You should buy your tool based on the specific needs for your intended operations, ie. we have a left tilt Unisaw and a Technomax (by SCMi) sliding table saw. The operations that each do best are uncomfortable or even dangerous on the other.

There is no shame in not owning tools. Just like there is no shame in holding your wife's purse while she tries on shoes!
Gary

upsman
11-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks Again Guys, Thanks Don for your input on the Comianation machine. I like the idea but when it comes to use it takes time to move from one tool to another.

On american tools
Are Delta , Jet, and Powermatic made in the USA. I would like to buy american but just do not know who is who? Any help?

Thanks John

Gary Campbell
11-02-2008, 01:45 PM
John..
Some Delta may be made in the USA,(now owned by Black & Decker- DeWalt) Jet is imported and Powermatic used to be made in the US, but the WMH website isnt saying where they are made now. WMH tools owns both Jet and Powermatic. Grizzly and ShopFox are totally imported and owned by the same entity. Most of the long lasting, industrial grade tools are European made now days, as they havnt got caught up in sacrificing quality for low price game.
Gary

upsman
11-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks Gary,

Who make the best and long lasting tool?

Looking for name brand.

Thanks
John

Gary Campbell
11-02-2008, 05:46 PM
John...
Cant tell you which is the best or longest lasting. I can tell you that we have purchased Technomax (made in Italy by SCMi) and they seem to be a good machine. Felder is also very good. They also have combination machines. Google minimax-usa.
Gary

blackhawk
11-03-2008, 10:01 AM
John - If you are worried about space, you should look into mobile bases for your equipment. I have a mobile base on almost everything in my shop (except the Bot, of course). I can push everything against the wall and out of the way when not in use. I have used the mobile base from Delta the most. With the Delta, you add your own wood frame to their brackets and you can make any size that you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-345-Universal-Mobile-Included/dp/B0000223CL

nailzscott
11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I bought a Ridid TS3650 table saw. It had lifetime warranty and a single foot peddle lift base - step on it, roll the 300# saw around, then set it back down. I might have been influenced by the 30% off from my local Home Depot going out of business but I've been really satisfied with it.

upsman
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks all for you input, Will be working on it this week. Will let you know what we deside to do.

Thanks Again
John

nailzscott
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Oops, typo on prior post. Should obviously be Rigid TS3650.

pete
11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Actually....it is spelled Ridgid

gene
11-03-2008, 10:14 PM
John
I have a jet 10" table saw and a felder 10" x 10' slide table saw , both very good at their respected task , i have purchased many grizzly tools and have replaced most all of them. all grizzly tools are copied tools that are not (in my opinion) the same quality as the ones they copied from. This is why when they introduced the mini molder at the show in Vegas, customs took all of their equipment until a judge could hear a pending case against them by W & H . European tools are very high quality and built to high standards. I had a Hammer slide saw ( low end Felder) and was not very happy with it so after owning it 4 years my sales rep @ felder told me to come to the IWF 2006 and he would make me a deal i couldn't turn down , My old saw at full price i paid toward a new saw . Too bad he is no longer with felder group.. The laguna tools would be my definate choice if i were to be in the market for new equipment. some other equipment i have are , a virutex hot air edge bander , Baker helical 20 " planer , W&H moulder, Logosol 4 side molder , ridgid radial arm saw along with too much other equipment . I believe its easier to build quality products with quality machines, and its hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear..

upsman
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Again Guy's, I think the way i am going to go is with Laguna. The Platinum Series 12" 5 Function Combination Machine; Tablesaw,Planer/ Jointer 12", Shaper, and Mortiser. on the Bandsaw side going with the Laguna LT16 HD Bandsaw. I don't like going with the Combination Machine but for the space i have in my shop i think it will work. If any one has any more to add then let me know.

Again thank you
John

wberminio
11-04-2008, 02:26 PM
John

Laguna is a good choice.I Bought a Hawi 4hp panel
saw(which they no longer sell) and a few other tools from them years ago.Great servce and products.BTW I also have several early Grizzley machines,Table saw,Shaper
Combo sander and now Cyclone dust collector-still going stong after all these years.

Erminio