PDA

View Full Version : Cutting fiberglass

robert_cheal
11-08-2006, 04:22 PM
This is a question that I posted posted in another thread that really needs its own topic.

Does anyone have any experience in cutting holes in extruded fiber glass? For example 1.5" X 1.5" with an 1/8" wall thickness. I cut a sample hole with a 1/4" 2 flute carbide tipped bit, while it cut fine I would need a router bit with a longer cutting life.

The link below has fiberglass bits staring at $13.20 ea.

http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/Fiberglass_Bits_s/1145.htm

I would need to cut about 600 holes aprox. 3/8" x 2 1/2"

I am about to do a test with a 1/4" up-spiral bit and my X & Y cuts will have a 3D line to utilize full cutting tip of the router bit.

If any has any other ideas they would be welcomed.

Kaiwa,
Thanks for your response, time would not permit following up on your suggestion for this project as it was dumped on me with no time to source out the best cutter.

For those who may be interested what I am finding out is that I just finished cutting out 210 holes with a $7 cheapo solid carbide cement board bit. (similar to the bit in the link I posted yesterday) I just now put in a Makita bit for about $14 it has spiral pattern, it is quiet and gives smoother cuts, I am curious to see if it give more cuts. Cutting speeds .5,.5 inclined Z cuts to use all of the cutter, 10,000 RPM. I am not sure if I should push the speeds at present it seems to satify me and the client and router bit costs are low enough. Well that about sums up what I know for now. Any other fiberglass experiences would be interesting to hear.

Robert