PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Melamine

mnrite
07-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I cut melamine all day long at work, big machine w/ spindle, 3/8" compression spiral, 12,000 RPM, 400in/min , nice chip free cuts, bits last a long time. At home on my Alpha Shopbot w/ PC the cuts aren't quite as good , and the quality falls off after a couple sheets (burned bits + chiped edges) I can't seem to find the right feed and speed at home. Any sugestions or am I expecting to much from the PC?

Thanks
Mike

elcruisr
07-05-2006, 10:06 AM
RPM control is going to be a lot tougher with the PC because they will drop off as the motor loads up. Another part of the problem will be that the PC has more runout than a spindle and that's going to result in rougher cuts and shortened tool life.

Another consideration is are you cutting the same brand of melamine at home? I've had widely varying results with different brands, even with a spindle!

Also are you using the same brand and type of tool as you are using at work?

Eric

mnrite
07-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Eric,

Thanks for the response
Same board and tool as at work.

That's kind of what I thought, I guess I can leave the RPM's where they are and slow the feed to where the router doesn't seem to load to much, and figure that's as good as it gets.

Thanks
Mike

nappy1
07-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Mike,
The slower the feed, the more heat a tool bit will pick up. Run your feed rate as fast as you can without breaking the tool.
This is standard proceedure with any material.

Ryan Patterson
07-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Mike,
Before I upgraded to a spindle I cut melamine with a PC. The Rpm was set to the max with feed at 4 to 5 inches. The bit I use is whiteside 4102. You can not trust the Rpm settings with a PC. The rpm will drop when you start cutting. You also lose horse power when you lower the Rpm. I would set the Rpm to the max and adjust the feed rate until you get a good edge.
Ryan