PDA

View Full Version : CNC Router Bits

carlosgmarroquin
07-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi. I'm new in this forum. I'm from Guatemala, Central America, and I received my Shopbot in March and I had it up and running in May. I got an PRS Alpha 9660 with an 4HP HSD spindle.

I'm realy happy with my bot, and I've learned a lot through this forum.

About the bits, my question is: Do I have to use only CNC bits like the ones that come in the starter kit. Or can I use standard carbide router bits like the ones used for molding or picture frames that are used with conventional routers.

dubliner
07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey Carlos, I have my machine about a year so I know what youre experiencing, I still stare at my machine when it runs. you can use router bits as long as they will plunge into the material.I have even used roundover bits with the bearing removed & ground off the post. I used low price bits to start so I wouldnt feel bad if I crashed one. I bet when you can run it well you will be a very popular guy in your part of Guatemala. I have the same machine, I just love it. Neville

german
07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
You can use any router bit, just check the bit profiles to make sure it is going to do what you pretend with it, don't use the ones with the bearings.

German

myxpykalix
07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
You can use standard bits and others for moldings,ect. Check out www.centuriontools.com (http://www.centuriontools.com) or www.magnate.net (http://www.magnate.net)

carlosgmarroquin
07-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Thank you guys, for your information.

Any thing that I want to get, I have to buy in the USA and then ship it to a Guatemalan Courier in Miami and I receive my package the next day.

So I have to check twice what I purchase.

But here in Guatemala, there are some distributors of standard carbide router bits like AMANA or FREUD.

By the way, Is there any body in this forum from down the border?

rcnewcomb
07-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Based on our experience I would avoid Freud bits.

The Amana bits might be worth investigation since some people on the forum have had good luck with them.

magic
07-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I use Amana because I can buy them easily. They seem to work for wood and cast acrylic but not pvc (leaves fuzz)