PDA

View Full Version : Belin Router bits

mcw
05-11-2001, 01:26 AM
I posted in a thread a couple of days ago about Belin bits on Ebay, but nobody really said anything. Well I got my bits the other day, and all I can say is WOW brand new Belin spiral O bits for $9.99 each! I ordered bit #43635 which ended up being a 1/4"Dia compression bit with a 15/16 cutter length. The other bit 13635A which is a 1/4 shank, 1 1/2 cutter depth upcut spiral O. These things are polished like a mirror. The company is Ebark, and the contact is Chris at nchris@pgtc.net (mailto:nchris@pgtc.net)

Brian

gdorrington@iafrica.com
05-11-2001, 03:02 PM
Brian, all that I can say is that I wished I was was less than 10 000 miles away. This week I ordered some bits direct from the Belin factory in France and you sure got those at much less than cost price.

But now the million dollar question: how do they cut? Are they worth hunting down?

Robin
05-11-2001, 06:10 PM
Chris only has 1/8" and 3/16" cutting diameter (1/4" shank) bits left.

roney
05-17-2001, 08:12 PM
Gerald, my answer to your question is fantastic, and I totally agree with Brian that they are beautiful...in fact I took mine with me to a party to show it off to some woodworker friends of mine...Belin polishes their bit so much that the reflections cause somewhat of an optical illusion. The bit is also the first thing i show to visitors to my shop...there is no ..none...nada ...peep from these cutters...even though my router is so noisy other bits still create a screaming noise ..not the Belin bit....

jrc

Gerald D
05-19-2001, 10:02 AM
We tested our first Belin bits this morning, and our first impressions are positive.

A new 1/4” straight flute (2-fluted) was compared to a new 1/4” Belin spiral-o up-cutter (single flute). Both running at 27000 rpm and moved at 1.3 inches/second through 3/8” pine plywood.

The Belin was significantly quieter and the cut edges were less “furry” (almost clean).

The Belins cost about $20 each and the straight tungsten tools are about $5 each. The straight tools are easy to resharpen.

We feel that we would use the Belins if they gave us double the life of the straight cutters, but only time will tell.

The mirror finish is there, but I cannot find the connection to the performance of the bit?

Gerald D
06-11-2001, 02:21 AM
After about 3 weeks of light use, we can see that the Belin bit has not lost its shine yet. Our previous bits would have started to turn blue/black by now. The Belin stills seems to be in original "as-new" sharp condition while the previous bits would have been dulling.