PDA

View Full Version : Expanded capabilities, need guidance...

harryball
04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Most of you guys know I'm not "sign guy" and lately I've been reminding myself of that constantly.

I recently added a Robo Pro II 15" desktop vinyl cutter to my collection of capabilities. I've put my name, the kid's names and the H4Bats logo on about everything sitting still so far and now it's time to do something constructive and I have questions.

1) I saw a knife cutter for the bot somewhere, is it still available and does it work well enough to cut large vinyl objects? Being at 15" does OK but I'd like a really large H4Bats logo for the trailer.

2) this vinyl (the UV rated stuff) will it stick to my prefinished wood projects well enough to use outside. i.e. would it stick to my painted bat houses enough to add decoration that would last? I know on metal and glass it does well and while it sticks to the painted bat house surface now... will it be there in a year?

3) How in the heck can I do multi color projects and get the spacing correct? i.e. I may want the bats one color, the web name another and the house a 3rd color. I've got a huge roll of 15" transfer tape and I've done a few tests but I can't figure out the knack of building up a multi color logo.

4) Is anyone using the bot to cut through vinyl as a finished product? i.e. it occured to me I could place a layer of vinyl with small designs cut into it on top of a prefinished work piece. Then place that piece on the bot and Vcarve, cut pockets, shapes etc... for whatever I was doing. Almost like a mask, but leave it as part of the finished product. Before I venture into an attempt blindly, just wondering if anyone else has had experience to share.

Thanks!
/RB

chiloquinruss
04-24-2008, 11:33 AM
1. Don't know!
2. I've applied vinyl to some really bad looking stuff and after applying I clear coated with a UV varnish to keep the vinyl from lifting.
3. Make our own registration marks that are the same for all colors. The marks can be just a simple round spot, nothing fancy. I usually do this at the top left and right corners. I apply the base color and leave the marks. Before removing the backing on the rest of the colors align the marks. When all colors are applied I remove the marks.
4. Several threads on vinyl as a mask.
Russ

gary_n
04-24-2008, 02:09 PM
google vinylmate on the forum or on the web. I believe that is the correct name for it.

magic
04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Wouldn't this knife need to be housed in a spring tensioning device that's inserted into the spindle?

chodges
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I can help with #3 ...

We use FlexiSign - software that is designed for cutting vinyl. When you create your artwork, make different objects different colors. Then, when you send the job to the vinyl cutter, FlexiSign will either let you pick which color you want to cut, or it will cut all colors at once.

If you do each color separately, then this allows you to change from red vinyl to blue vinyl, etc. and cut them separately.

Then, when you lay each color of vinyl, mist the surface with water. This allows you to easily position your vinyl above the previous layer (another color). When you squeege the transfer paper side of your vinyl, you will force the water out and it will stick right where you want it.