PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Sheet

Mike K. (Unregistered Guest)
01-03-2006, 02:42 AM
New Shopbot on the way next week!! Currently, I own a sign shop specializing in trade show graphics (dye based inkjet w/lamination and mounting) and solvent inkjet applications i.e. outdoor banners, large and small signs, etc.

I currently have a contour cutter for cutting digitally output graphics, but it can only be used for PS vinyl, and light styrene. I get requests for shaped magnetic material. I purchase the 30ml magnetic sheets which I can print on, but up to this point I can only cut it by hand.
Hads anyone cut this type of magnetic material on the bot?

Since I don't have the CNC yet I can't experiment. I was thinking I could use one of my drag knife assemblies from my contour cutter (I have 3 knife assemblies), place it in the router,(it fits in the 1/2 collet) leave the router off and let the machine cut the magnets.

Since the knife swivels independently it would follow the path of CNC.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Mike

matt_p
02-01-2006, 11:48 PM
sounds like that would work sweet.
I have never cut magnetic sheet on my router but, I'm sure it would cut nicely with a bit because of the dense nature of the material.
We have always just cut it in the plotters, both Gerber and Mimaki.

mklafehn
02-02-2006, 12:54 AM
I have tried cutting with the drag knife on magnetic material and it does work, but the quality of the cut is not as good as a vinyl cutter.

Anyway, I'll keep experimenting and see what might be the best combination of knife and speed.

mziegler
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I have made many children name letter puzzles with the adhesive magnetic sheet material. Routed the letters with the front side down with adhesive magnetic sheet apply to the top side and the second sheet laying on top of the first with adhesive side up. The second sheet is for the letter pockets in the name plate. The second sheet is being held in place only by magnetic pull of the first sheet. The only problems I have was that tall narrow letters such as I, J, and L would move. I solve that problem by placing one pin near the snap off point on the letter. If you don’t have a pinner gun, a small finish nail will work too. Also the paper covering the adhesive would sometimes would lift and letting sawdust on the sheet. Since them letters went into the pockets, I added some extra adhesive to the pocket. Mark

mziegler
02-02-2006, 11:07 PM

mziegler
02-02-2006, 11:11 PM

jhicks
02-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Cool ideas Mark!

Mayo
02-06-2006, 06:46 PM
How about cutting all the way through the wood you are currently pocketing, and affixing sheet metal to the back so that the magnets adhere to the sheet metal? If you're doing lots of these, it may save money on the double magnet method you currently use.

zeykr
02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
What font are you using so that the little leters (I etc) are not too small for young kids?

mziegler
02-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Mayo, I like looks of the name plate like this. Also the center of the letters like D and O are held in place. I working on a magnetic calendar that will use sheet metal, will post picture later.
Ken, the font is VAGRounded Bt and the letters are 3 inches high, should be OK with children.
Mark