PDA

View Full Version : Routing Carbon Fiber Composite panels

insideline
01-01-2005, 04:16 AM
I am contemplating a Shopbot to route parts out of carbon fiber panels ranging from 1/16 to 1/8th inch thick. Does any one here have experience with this type of material routed on the shopbot?

Other pieces will mount to these parts routed on the Shopbot, so accuracy is at a higher premium than some other router usage. Is the Shopbot accurate enough for this use?

Also, our panels are only 19 x 25 in size, it looks like the Benchtop model may be adequate, however, I can't find a picture of that unit. Anyone have a working link to info on the Benchtop?

Thanks.

Brady Watson
01-01-2005, 11:02 AM
RC,

1. Yes we are cutting some now.

2. Yes.

3. Here's a pic of the PRT benchtop (http://www.desktopcnc.com/shopbot_m.htm)...but if I were to buy another, I think the 4X4 machine would be a better choice in the event that you need to cut larger parts like wings etc.

-Brady

dingwall
01-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Have you thought of waterjet?

Brady Watson
01-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Sheldon,
Waterjet doesn't always do such a hot job on CF. It will in some cases delaminate and fray at the edges...Plus if it has an adhesive backing on it, then you will ruin it.

-Brady

zeykr
01-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Brady,
What kind of feeds and speeds are you using with the CF sheet?

Brady Watson
01-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Ken,
It depends on the geometry of the part, and thickness of the material...Honeycomb core also brings new challenges to the table.

If you are going to cut it, plan on spending money on bits. It eats them up fairly quickly. You can get diamond coated bits made for doing CF, but they are 10X the price of standard carbide and what if you break one??? Coated or uncoated...it will eat through them.

Speed in any material is always a function of chipload...and in my experience if it 'sounds' right and smells right...it usually is.

-Brady