PDA

View Full Version : Chip load calculator

phil_o
10-02-2008, 07:34 PM
There is a help file associated with the SB chip load calculator. For softwood the range is from .002 to .020 - a tenfold range. For Hardwood the range is from .005 - .030 a sixfold range. I tried a sample for softwood - at .002 my spindle speed should be 45000. at .020 the speed should be 4500. Does anyone have a resource that has a chipload value dialed in a bit tighter?

richards
10-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Phil,

I use the largest chip size that still allows the quality that I need. Most work has a chip size of at least 0.015" (plywood, MDF, most lumber). Particle board has a chipload of 0.025".

The chips should be warm as they fly off the cutter. As soon as the spindle/router fully stops, feel the cutter. It should not be hot, just mildly warm.

phil_o
12-18-2008, 08:28 AM
A poster on the Vectric forum had a link to a website that answered my question. I thought others on this forum might find it useful.
http://www.vortextool.com/images/chipLoadChart.pdf

Gary Campbell
12-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Phil..
Don't forget that move speed factors into chip load just as rpm does. For any given bit and rpm, increasing move speed increases chip load. The hard part is finding a combination of move speed, RPM and bit that results in both desired quality of cut and bit longevity. Practice and use your ears!
Gary