PDA

View Full Version : Colombo off ebay

Art (Unregistered Guest)
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm new to the cnc world... I am trying to figure out what router to get, noise and cost are both factors. I found colombo spindles on ebay for very inexpensive. I know buy at your own risk on ebay, but are these missing any important parts? Will they work with the shopbot? The prices seem too good to be true...
Thanks

Brady Watson
07-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Art,
You will need not only the spindle motor, but power and signal lines to go from the motor to a frequency inverter/motor drive. Last time I checked it was about $600 for the wiring alone for my machine. I am not sure the price for the high freq drive. You will also need a mounting plate for the Colombo, a 7.2:1 Z-axis gearbox and HD springs to handle the extra weight. Depending on what kind of spindle it is, you may need a 3-phase to 1-phase converter. I have 3-phase in the shop, so I didn't need one.

I bought mine with my Bot. The Colombo is 10X quieter than a Porter Cable router...and definately worth every penny because it doesn't bog like a PC router. It will use all of it's 5HP to maintain RPM within a certain range...and you can run (with discretion) it at lower speeds than a PC router.

-Brady