PDA

View Full Version : Probe measurement conversions

bob_lofthouse
05-18-2005, 03:34 AM
Hi all.

My probe is working great and were very pleased with with the 2d probing weve done in imperial.

However we have the opportunity to supply .dxf drawings to one of our suppliers whose all singing all dancing $90k machine doesnt have a probing feature.

The problem is that their software (licom) will not convert imperial to metric, and we are using part wizard which will not let me re-save the .dxf file as anything other than a .art file

Do I have to alter/edit any probe files to make the dxf files output in metric or will just altering the control panel settings from imperial to metric make the changes automatically.

My first experiments using the control panel set as metric are sending the probe crashing into the bed.

I am sure I've just missed something simple but any help would be appreciated.

yours robert

hespj
05-18-2005, 03:53 AM
Robert, I havn't got a probe yet so don't know what I'm talking about, but can't you just scale the dxf in a CAD program? Multiply by 25.4 to get mm?

John

bob_lofthouse
05-18-2005, 04:20 AM
Hi John,

That seems to be the fail safe but I was looking for the lazy solution if there is one.

mikejohn
05-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Robert
I dont have a probe either but surely all it does is recognise the x,y,z position on contact, so I would have thought it would work in metric.
Interested to know the solution
..........Mike

gerald_d
05-18-2005, 05:20 AM
Setting the control panel as metric is the obvious thing to do......if your SB is happy in metric. Apparently there have been some SB software versions that were not happy in metric, and you might have one of these. I would suggest calling SB support and checking it with them. Today you are have a probing problem, but tomorrow you may want to cut a metric file and discover that doesn't work either.

Brady Watson
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Robert,
It makes no difference what mode you are in when you are probing. If you normally work in inches, then continue to do so.

When you have successfully probed the part, simply pull it into any CAD program (TurboCAD is a good choice and low cost) and change your units from inches to mm. Then save in mm. Done.

The other alternative is to send the DXF in inches format to the customer with the $90k machine...let them convert it over to metric values. The only kicker that I see with the DXF is, many times you need to offset the 2D scan 1/2 of the probe tip diameter for it to be correct.

Inches or mm...really makes no difference...just like °F and °C....

-Brady

bob_lofthouse
05-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Brady and all,

We are not using any other cad programs apart from part wizard as we don't currently any call to do so. Part wizard is meeting our production needs as we are only cutting 2d profiles.

I have given up for the time being trying to work in metric. I managed to convert the zzero file but failed to get the home file to work in metric.

Also the probe file just didn't work using metric and seemed to have a mind of its own.

When I have more time I will have another go at converting over to metric.

If anyone has any idea's or converted files please feel free to contact me.

Yours
Robert

bill.young
05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey Robert,

Are you using the edgefinding routines from the DOS software or the Copy Machine virtual tool? What version of the ShopBot software? And what sort of problems are you having?

Bill

Brady Watson
05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Robert,
Converting from inches to mm within PW is pretty easy if you keep a few things in mind. It doesn't matter if the part is probed in inches or mm & also doesn't matter if you cut the part in inches or mm. What is important is that the overall dimensions are correct.

This is what I would do if cutting metric parts that started with a probed DXF:

1. Probe the part in inches
2. Start a new PW file defining your XY in inches
3. Import DXF into PW and offset to the inside of the part by 1/2 of the probe stylus diameter (IE a 1/16" tip offsets 1/32" to the inside to get a true measurement)
3. Copy the inside vector
4. Start a new PW file and change the units to mm
5. Select 'Paste' to paste the shape into PW. You'll notice that it is very small.
6. Select the part and go to the Transform tool
7. Take either the X or Y dimension and multiply it by 25.4 (use Windows calc). Enter the product into the appropriate X or Y box to scale up 25.4 times.

That's it!

Once you have verified the dimensions, you can easily convert it back to 'inch mode' by dividing the X or Y dimensions by 25.4 ~ This will allow you to work in inches from start to finish, including cutting. There is no need to cut in mm as long as you know the inch equivalent of what you are cutting & PW does this for you.

-Brady

bob_lofthouse
05-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm using the Copy Machine virtual tool and v3.4.1

When I have tried to 2d probe a piece in mm the probe either tries to continually move in the Y direction or moves downwards and hits the bed.

Hi Brady,

What I was trying to do was probe an object in metric units so that the dxf file would be created in metric units. Then I could pass on the dxf file to other users who are only set up to work in metric.

If I opened the dxf file myself with Parts wizard and converted it myself from Imperial to Metric I then cannot re-save it as a dxf file.

I suppose I've just been trying to do things on the cheap by not buying an appropriate cad program.

I can see a money making opportunity by quickly probing objects for other cnc users who do not have the probing ability and have to manually create cad drawings. I am aware of Cad operators who charge $40 an hour local to me.

Yours Robert

Brady Watson
05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Robert,
If this is a money-maiking venture, then yes...I would have to agree that you are being a bit cheap. There's no shame in being frugal, but if the need justifies the purchase, then by all means, pony up and get an inexpensive CAD program where you can scale it to metric. It probably doesn't get much cheaper than Autodesk QuickCAD v8 (http://shopper.cnet.com/Autodesk_QuickCAD_v8/4014-3513_9-30421236.html?tag=pl&q=Autodesk%2BInc.) available from Staples (http://www.staples.com) for $49. I am sure that there are probably free ones out there as well like this (http://www.a9tech.com/) one...although I cannot testify to their performance.

You will most likely encounter several jobs in the future that require you to have a program with export capabilities...

-Brady

bill.young
05-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey Robert,

How about running the Copy Machine using the metric values that cause the problem and then email me a copy of the "vt_probe.sbp" file that's in your "C:\program files\shopbot\virtual tools\copy machine" folder.

You don't have to actually do the probing...you can just click "no" when it asks if you're ready to start probing. The vt_probe.sbp file is the custom probing file that the Copy Machine creates from your settings and will help in diagnosing what's going on.

Bill

bob_lofthouse
05-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks All...

Bill I will send you the file 2morrow evening.

Many thanks
Robert