PDA

View Full Version : Another dust skirt issue

phil_o
09-07-2006, 04:17 PM
I recently set up my new benchtop bot - love it. However I haven't gotten used to the new dust skirt. It's in the way when I change router bits. The old dust skirt wasn't connected to the Z car and I could raise the router and easily get at the collet to change a bit. The new dust skirt is connected to the Z car. It's in the way of getting at the collet. I know I can go around to the back and drop the dust skirt but the old skirt was easier to deal with. Am I missing something? Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

steve4460
09-07-2006, 04:34 PM
A wing nut on the side of the mounting brackett.

harryball
09-07-2006, 07:31 PM
I have a bit change position at the end of the table. I run the router over to about -4 4 which brings it clear of the spoil board and drop the Z to -4. I can then easily drop the dust skirt by removing the wing nut and change the bit. Once done I return Z to 1 and send the head back out wherever it needs to go.

Robert

Ryan Patterson
09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Phil,
I have the dust shoe mounted to where I can put one wrench on the top and one from the bottom by lifting the skirting. I do not need to remove the dust skirt. It took a couple of bit changes to get used to it.
Ryan

harryball
09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I tried leaving the skirt on, just can't get the hang of that. I prefer to pull the skirt off at a bit change position I described so I guess the short answer is, do what works for you.

What would be nice instead of a thumb screw is some kind of hasp or clip to release the dust skirt and snap it back on. One that didn't require lowering the Z axis to get to.

Robert

steve4460
09-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi Harryball
Check out the picture from the Minnesota camp shopbot . There is a cool mod of the dust boot .

Bot on

sww
05-30-2007, 10:45 PM
I purchased a long t-handled Allen wrench.
I move the bot to the end of the table and lower it to about -3. At this point both Allen screws are easy to get. I then remove the whole dust skirt assembly. Now every thing is accessible. I can now change the bit and adjust the skirt height if needed.