PDA

View Full Version : Router shut-off

insculp
06-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Is there or has someone come up with a way to automatically shut-off the router spindle after completing a program? I run some long 3d cuts unattended, and wish I could stop the router at the end. Thanks

ron brown
06-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Erich,

There is a relay shown in the ShopBot manual that will do the described deed. You will need to enter lines in your file truning the output switches on and off. One can create a dangerous situation with a "self-starting" router.

Ron

jay
06-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Erich, I agree with Ron. Use the diagram in the shopbot manual but with one small addition. I put a switch in line with the router to assure the router can not run unless both the switch on the router and the extra inline switch are turned on. I find I use it a lot when positioning the router with the 'K' keys. I also have my dust collection set up on a similar relay. The automatic turn off works like a charm for me.

scott_smith
06-07-2004, 08:27 PM
I added a switch like Jay did but I used a 3-position switch. Off, Relay controlled, and On. The On option is handy for 1 time cuts like the CR command without a program. I also put a switch guard over the toggle to prevent it from getting bumped on.

gerald_d
06-08-2004, 01:30 AM
We had a relay system - until we discovered that the relay wiring caused interference making the stepper motors move one or two steps. Back to the drawing board on this one for the time being.

spektr
06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Eric. Use a switch, spst normally closed, in series with your current wiring. Put it on the Z axis so when you get to a z value away from the table, it automatically shuts off the motor. 1 switch, one stop on the z axis and your done.
pretty simple. Scott

chip@marshallsmillwork.com
01-29-2005, 10:44 AM
my brother chip has the full info on this switch

he has this on a siple handout page as well as a list of parts available from radio shack.

if you email him he will forward it to anyone who asks.
chip@marshallsmillwork.com (mailto:chip@marshallsmillwork.com)

the thing works great
you have to post process your files like this
(at the beginning)
sa
so,1,1
print start router
pause

(at the end)
so,1,0

we do not reccomend a 3 way switch, this confuses the issue and may lead to injury or broken router bits.
gene