PDA

View Full Version : Which motor for indexer

puzzleman20
06-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi everybody! I recently bought a used SB and want to add an indexer. Does it matter which motor I use for the indexer? I have an oriental PK268 02A on the z-axis and an oriental PK296A1A-SG3.6 on the x and y-axis'. I would prefer to put a PK268 02A on the indexer since it is much less expensive. Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
George

richards
06-10-2006, 10:49 AM
George,

It depends on the speed and torque that you need. The current Oriental Motor product line lists the PK264A1A-SGXX and the PK296A1A-SGXX as the two available sizes. (There are other options B1A, A2A, B2A, etc. which have to do with single ended shaft, double ended shaft and voltage/current rating.)

The PK264 is a small motor. Even with 10:1 gearing, it produces marginal torque. The PK296 motor with 10:1 gearing could probably move just about anything that you would want to cut on a Shopbot.

The PK268-02A is a great motor. I've used a grundle of that size in my former life as a process control designer/programmer. However, you would have to build your own gear train. If you used toothed belts, you would need at least a two stage and possibly three stage setup if you planned on using readily available gear pulleys to acheive a 10:1 reduction.