PDA

View Full Version : Help selecting material for a sign

sam_harbold
06-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I have never made a sign before so I am looking for some suggestions as to what material to use for this sign. The existing frame to which I will be attaching the sign is 1" square wrought iron.
Shown in blue on the attached drawing. The sign is going to be painted black so what paint is the best to use.

Thanks
Sam

zeykr
06-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Is the area between the letters cut out (see through). If so I'd go to someone with a CNC plasma cutter.

Using sign materials and a shopbot, I'd look at dibond or something like that if it's open areas between the letters. If just raised letters on a background, could do HDU over dibond or something for support.

I'm sure the real sign pros will weigh with better suggestions.

sam_harbold
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Ken

I should have given more detail. Yes the area between the letters are cut out.

knight_toolworks
06-02-2008, 12:21 AM
myself this needs to be done in metal. the arches bent and the letters cut out of metal. I can't see anything else looking right or really holding up well.
so it is not really a job for a shopbot.

magic
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah metal.

An make sure they add a sacrificial Zink bracelet so it does not rust as fast

As an alternative - for practice - you could cut out shapes so the metal shop will have a pattern.
OR as another alternative, talk them into an enclosed sign and THEN you have something to work with.

Brady Watson
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Metal faced plywood or Dibond would be strong and hold up as long as you sealed the edges properly.

-B

thecustomsignshop
06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
My vote, Dibond

sam_harbold
06-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. Since I am donating all materials and labor I really don't want to outsource this. I am going to go with the dibond and cut it on my Shopbot. I will post back here when it is completed along with some photos. Again thanks for all your suggestions.

Sam