PDA

View Full Version : New masking technique, conversion varnish anyone?

godsman24_7
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Hello guys,
Just cut out a sign for sample work. Trying to take Joes amazing advice to make samples. I have been having so many problem with masking I decided to try something new. I carved and cut the sign. Then rolled 3 coats of behr premium plus of the background color. (Rolling leaves the wells of the letters bare.) After drying I sprayed a thick coat of conversion varnish on. I then airbrushed the wells of the letters. Wiping off the letter coloring from the background coloring was a piece of cake. Sprayed another coat of conversion varnish and the piece feels/looks AWESOME!!! I have tried so many other masking techniques and this one by far was the best looking a fasted. Conversion varnish can be force dried in 5 minutes. Does anyone know if conversion varnish is waterproof? Thanks for listening if you have any suggestion or questions....shoot
John

joe
08-10-2008, 10:48 PM
John,

Good looking panel!

Sounds like you have an interesting process. I'll give it a try when business slows down.

Masking shouldn't be all that difficult. Here are a couple of parimeters. First: If you have a smooth surface, most of the vinyl masks will work. Second: when you have a textured or rough background it's preferable to use a liquid mask. It will get down into the clevices and cracks. Tha would be Spraylat or Rubber Cement.

No matter what technique you use, it's helpful to seal off the raw wood with a quick spray of shellac. Then I'd suggest paint the well of the letters with the same color background. That will seal off any voids under the edges of the mask. Now your ready to paint your finish coat.

Joe

bleeth
08-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Conversion Varnish is waterproof and is reccomended for kitchen use by all associations. I have never heard of it being recommended for outdoor use however. I would check with the manufacturer (Campbells?) for that. Exterior Varnish is usually formulated specifically for that. Conversion Varnish is also fairly difficult to repair should it get chipped or damaged.

jben007
08-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Hello, conversion varnish is water proof.it's main use ifs furniture and cabinetry.It is applied to most cabinetry that you purchase from commercial manufacturers.I have not see any conversion varnish that is for exterior use though,the uv rays and the elements would probably make it not last very long.
Ben

handh
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Guys, I don't think conversion varnish is waterproof but water resistant would be the better wording. At least that is what all of the literature that I have says. ML Campbell does have a exterior finish called Euro X. It is a 2 component polyuretherane for use on exterior wood. It dries like regular conversion varnish, very fast. It is a high solid finish that is water resistant and a very durable finish. It offers excellent resistance to chemicals, UV exposure and scratches. It comes in clear with different sheens and is also available in pigmented white and unlimited colors. I have not used it yet but the Campbells rep showed us samples a while back, looked very nice.