PDA

View Full Version : When to use what v bit.

msantos
02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
when do u use a 45, 60, 90, 120 degree v bit. i have been using the 60 degree v bit from onsurd for all v cuts. i just want to gain some knowledge so i can reduce the trial and error process

aaasigncom
02-18-2008, 11:09 PM
it depends on the look / results you want. you should cut the same simple design with all of those bits to compair the outcome. with this knowledge you can learn to look at a design and figure out what to use to duplicate that look. hope this helps. aaasign.com / electric signs - tony in indianapolis

Brady Watson
02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Martin,
See this (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/315/15365.html?1159827619#POST40966)

-B

joe
02-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Martin,

I also enjoy using the afore mentioned bits and here's how I go about it.

The first consideration begins with visability. For this reason I seldom use the 60 degree becuase it's difficult to read at distance. Even the 90 is seldom employeed. If I'm carving a cursive script with deliclate detail I most often choose a 110 or 120. My 140 and 150 are reserved for wide body fonts. They keep the material thickness within limits.

One tricky little move which can be employeed: If a 120 is a little too shallow for taste, I'll come back, with a second pass, using a round over or 60. This re-affirms the bottoms and pull-ups.

Odd as it may seem, there is little transition tooling marks.

A fun learning project is to set four or five fonts with different body strokes. Use a cursive with little swirs along with some very fat font like "Post Bodoni". Carve all of them on a single
panel with each bit you have. You'll learn quickly which ones to use.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

jseiler
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Joe, is there an example of the 120 followed by roundover or 60 on your website? I'm curious to see what that looks like and how to toolpath it. Do you just rerun the same toolpath from the 120? I suppose you use a pointed plunge roundover, right?

John

joe
02-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes John,

I'll see if I can't do a letter or two for you and post them. Your Spot On about a 120 or 150 degree bits when doing smaller letters. They can look a little flat. The advantage of using these flatter bits is their increased visability. As you know, letters carved with steep 60 or 90 degree bits are very difficult to read from distance. I generally reserve these narrow bits for scrolls and decorations.

After the 120 V Bit is finished, a supplemental round over bit, with a needle point, can be employed. This gives a neat deliclate touch. It's necessary to re-set the Z down a little.

I'll describe this when I have a sample or two.

I can't imagine I'm the only one doing this technique. Combining bits is a easy way to add interesting detail and do some neat finishing work.