PDA

View Full Version : NewBee to HDU

nick
04-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Hi guys,

I'm making five outdoor signs 18x24, 4' off ground, out of 3/4 " HDU.

I'm going to use 1/2" MDO backer board attached with construction adhesive.

I will also be putting appliques to the sign using 1/2'" HDU. What adhesive is recommended for this connection.

Will these signs hold up to the weather with this method?

Thanks

tuck
04-17-2008, 12:04 AM
The HDU will hold up to anything but woodpeckers and carpenter bees, Nick. For the appliques, you could use the same exterior grade construction adhesive. I like Loctite Powergrab, but that's just me.

Good luck and have fun!

joewino
04-17-2008, 09:17 AM
We use West System two part epoxy for most of our work, along with GE clear silicone and Loctite Super Glue.

Over the past few years we are cutting back on using MDO for backing since some of our larger pieces began to warp (installed flat against a wall) and use more aluminum or DiBond.

For small pieces applied to the sign panel we usually use either silicone or super glue.

This has worked for us for many years here in Texas.

tuck
04-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah Raymond, but that's in Texas. We're talking about the real world here.

nick
04-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Good observation...New Jersey here.

joewino
04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, if it works in Texas, it should work anywhere...even the real world.

(Of course, everything's better in Texas)

jamesgilliam
04-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Amen to that Ray!

mikek
05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
10-4

joe
05-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Can't figure out why you are using HDU. Are you going to route something into them?

How about some kind of drawing? That is if you really want some help. Some of us make our living doing this type of work, and could give alternatives.

sevans
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Only Urethane glues (Gorilla) for HDU. You can go to the sign foam website or call them to get this same answer. It is not recommended to use MDO as backer. There is someone around here who does that and the signs look really shabby after a short period of time. I agree that Dibond is much better choice. Sign foam recommends Alumacore...if you can stand the edges. Construction adhesives are not recommended here either. They are not compatible with HDU. I have used West Systems as well, however, I have been told that weather changes can cause it to crack.
The Sign Grip Urethane glue is good too. It does not foam as much as Gorilla and is specially formulated for use on HDU.