PDA

View Full Version : First Sign Question

wardsa
10-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I am bidding on some outdoor signs for a lake association. The signs will be 3' X 4' and hang form 2 eye bolts on top and 1 on the side to keep it from swinging. I plan on using SignFoam. My question is how thick sould I go? Do I only need to go as deep as the carving will allow? It will be a 2 sided sign. Can I use 1" or 1.5"?
Thanks, Tery

signtist
10-03-2008, 12:19 PM
It needs to be laminated. Aluminum or MDO or Diebond in the middle, then 3/4" or more thick Signfoam.

joewino
10-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Same as John, with the addition of having a strap extend all the way through the middle of the "sandwich" to attach to the eye bolts so that the weight is distributed over the entire sign rather than just the threads of the eye bolt.

Thickness would depend on how deep you plan to route, but 1" on both sides would make a nice "heavy" looking sign.

I would suggest an epoxy adhesive to hold everything together. We use West System.

sebago_signworks
10-04-2008, 06:18 PM
You are better running 1" Stanless steel along the sides of the signfoam, then you can hook the bolts to the steel. I would use 2".

joe
10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Devin,

HDU, of any brand, will not maintain a good grip with screws. They will loosen up! Perhps you could look at the technical data from "Sign Foam" and "Precision Board". Kellie at PB is always glad to help.

When we make HDU swinging signs, they have a metal frame around the outside and welded rings on top. Using this technique, the sign goes along for the ride. And it has no structural requirements. It's just a swinging.

Another neat trick: When using a chain, have the links welded together making it a solid piece. This helps reduce the viberation under heavy wind.

joe