PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting?

bpfohler
05-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I've been searching the archives and reading about sandblasting signs. I'm not really sure I understand how the mask is cut away to leave an offset around the letters and other raised areas.
I'd like to make a sign with a sandblasted background and leave an offset around the pockets I want to create for the raised gold leafed letters (ala Joe Crumley).
So is this method correct?
-prime
-cut pockets for letters
-apply sandblast mask
-cut with something like a vinyl mate
-remove mask in area to be blasted then blast

chodges
05-02-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "offset," but here's how we do this ...

We buy the masking in 30" wide x 10-yard rolls and cut it on a Gerber GS750 plotter or, if the lettering is small, we cut our mask on a laser.

Then we peel off the backing paper to expose the adhesive on the back of the masking, and stick it to the face of the material we are going to blast. Next, we "weed" the mask (remove the areas we intend to blast away), and go over the masking one final time with a bread dough roller to make sure it is really stuck to the substrate well.

The next step is to blast, which removes the material where the masking is absent. Then we will prime and paint the background.

The final step is to remove the masking and, using a 3" wide foam paint roller, we paint the raised lettering a contrasting color.

Hope this helps!

bpfohler
05-02-2008, 07:38 PM
What I mean by offset letters are like those seen in this sign posted by J.Crumley.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/315/11631.html

joe
05-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks Robert for the nice complements.

Making one of these signs has lots and lots of little steps. Each one, if not done wright, can hold you up.

My best advice is to make some trial tests on scrap material. You'll come up with some easy ways to speed the process up.

Each of us approach the process differently. For example, Charles cuts and transfers stencil. We go direct by laying it down on sign face and cutting it there. We also route down, area clear, around letters. This saves lots of time in blasting. In the old days, we'd blast from the surface down. Now it's just a wave of the sandblast wand.

Nothing compares to getting a few samples under your belt. Once you've finished one of these projects, it will be clear why they cost so much.

Good luck,

Joe