PDA

View Full Version : Latest Sign Shots

jamesgilliam
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Well I finally had someone who knew what they wanted from the start, and even sketched me the design. Sadly I had no clip art to match, but took several different ones, ungrouped them and with the different pieces came up with a tree to match. Finished the installation today.

What do you think? Now all I need is the engraved tag to go on the post, at the customers request. She has even linked me on her realty web site so I should see an increase in these types of signs.

randy
10-30-2008, 08:36 PM
James,

Did you use Aspire for this one (the rare autographed copy)?

Slowly I turned...
Randy

myxpykalix
10-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Very cool. What wood is it made from? Probably most of the appeal comes from the finishing/painting part but that makes it look great. Good job.

jamesgilliam
10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Randy, No I did not use Aspire on this one, still done with VCarve Pro, in fact it was designed just before the Jamboree and the image sent to the customer.

Jack, Actually only the frame is wood, cypress. The sign itself is two pieces of Corafoam with a piece of Dibond in between for strength. The frame is fastened on the corners with screws, then I added more around the outside directly into the Dibond. The finish painting on the tree I credit to Jo-Anne. Large brush loaded with two to three colors, and half an hour later they were done.

jhicks
11-05-2008, 04:02 PM
James, looking good! can you explain the wood sand blast look to me. I haven't done that yet but looks like I need to get that going. any basic instructions would be appreciated.

Nice work!

jamesgilliam
11-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Jerry, the sand blast look was done in VCarve Pro with the the Create Texturing Toolpath function. Cut with 1/4" ball end mill using a 0.2" stepover. Depending on the size of the sign I adjust the maximum and minimum cut lengths, but usually stay around 6" for the max. I try to keep the stepover about 80% of the diameter of the tool just to reduce cutting time. Another thing I do is offset the vectors by the diameter of the tool to keep it from knicking the graphics, text or outside border.

jhicks
11-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks James, I definately need to experiment to get this kind of result. I appreciate the details.

jamesgilliam
11-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Jerry, I actually was not looking to get a blasted look, just something besides a flat background. Here are a couple quotes from the customer who ordered it for her husband's birthday.

"We drove up, and, of course he didn’t notice right away, then he almost jumped out of his seat out of surprise!

He loves the sign and I got many many hugs. He is so happy with it. Naturally I got the typical ‘You shouldn’t have!”. But he was real pleased I did.

We already got a call from a neighbor saying how wonderful it looks and asked who made it!

It is exactly what I expected and then some! Seriously better then I had expected!

I promise I will never reveal the price just the designer! But get your tag on there!"

Those are the kind of comments that money just can't buy. You can bet that if someone wants a reference, she will be on the top of my list.