PDA

View Full Version : Redwood...dump or use?

gamisano
12-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I just took down a fairly large redwood deck that was comprised mostly of 2x6 planks. Its fairly old and weathered on the surface as you would expect, but much of it seems like it could be re-used for something...maybe glue up several planks to create a sign substrate for sandblast or carving? There are nail holes every couple of feet. Any ideas? I'd hate to waste such a scarce resource by taking it to the dump. Let me know. Thanks.

Guido

webbhead
12-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Guido,
Get all the nails out, run both sides of a test board through a planer. I'll bet you'll some pretty wood under there. It's the perfect substrate for some name plates for mailboxes or entry ways. If they were 24 on center, you may need to putty the nail holes for longer names.

For larger blanks, glue up may be worth your while, see http://www.lewisredwood.com/sign_blanks.html. They're getting a pretty penny, but there's nothing like the look of real wood & it carves up & stains beautifully.

John Webb

beacon14
12-24-2006, 02:15 AM
I am saving the 2x6 Redwood planks from the 25 year old deck which we tore off our house. They look like h**l but if you plane or bandsaw off only 1/8" from the surface many boards look like new, much nicer than what's available today. If you don't want those old boards I'll take them off your hands.

harryball
12-24-2006, 09:07 AM
My experience is the same, old boards = great lumber with a little work. A very old house burned down next to us years ago, we finished bulldozing it and recovered all the old beams in the floor. They were 8x12 beams along with some other odd sized lumber. Cleaning them up using various methods revealed excellent lumber.

I would suggest, get a metal detector and use it. I finally broke down and got a Lumber Wizard III, love it. I've already found an unexpected nail in a board that should not have had a nail.

Robert

gamisano
12-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the input. I've decided to keep some of the wood for myself. I will have quite a bit left over, so if anyone would like some....it has nails, but I cut through a few, and the inside is beautifull and red as others suggested. Please contact me if interested. Prefer local pickup. Thanks.

Guido

beacon14
12-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Guido,

Whereabouts are you? Methinks California.

gamisano
12-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Yeah..Sorry about that...San Diego area