PDA

View Full Version : Paste wax as a paint mask?

jhicks
04-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I was thinking about an earlier post regarding V carving, fill, & wipe and am getting ready for another V carved sign which I would typically use an avery or gerber mask on. As I thought about it, the process would typically be prime and paint main sign blank, mask, wax the mask, then V carve, then prime in the V, then paint and finally remove the mask.
As most know the paste wax on the mask merely prevents the paint in the V from sticking to the mask and pulling out the paint when sanded and removed.
SO......... Has anyone tried simply priming and painting the base board, waxing it, then cutting the V, priming and painting without any mask (or use the wax as the mask?)
I'll experiment a bit but if it works it could make life very simple.
Paint would be acrylic latex so it shouldnt stick to the wax but not sure how difficult to remove the over painted areas. Maybe a crazy idea but someone out there has probably already tried it, rejected it, or perfected it.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

Mayo
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Whenever I painted signs that were masked, I always removed the mask before the paint was dry. No need for wax. I wonder about wax getting into the areas you are going to paint, and having the paint fail some time later due to wax here or there. Is it possible that the bit could accumulate some wax and redeposit it into the freshly cut wood? Maybe the amount would be too small to worry about if you've had long term good results. Your idea to eliminate the mask and just use wax may only work if you have a glossy surface. Some satin finishes would change appearance with the addition of wax. For certain applications it may save a step though - worth a try.

jhicks
04-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks Mayo, good points.
Also wondering about a clear coat of vinyl paint or Joe crumley suggested maybe rubber cement would work. Got to try a few new techniques and see if any work.

jseiler
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
You might consider this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0091P?&C=RJE&V=DIV

gwilson
04-18-2007, 08:09 AM
You can also get it at most art supply stores. If you go to dickblick.com and search for liquid mask there is a good selection.

jhicks
04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
WOW, Thats terriffic IF it does the job. Have you actually used it by painting the base, then applying liquid vinyl, then V carving and then prime and paint well of the v cuts?
I would love to hear someone has actually used this or a similar technique with good results. Seems like a great way to go if it leaves crisp and sealed edges after routing.
Please confirm if anyone has done it.
Thanks, this would be a huge improvement over vinyl mask.
Great input much appreciated.

joe
04-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Jerry,

For years the electronic sign industry has been using a liquid mask as a barrier when painting letters on acrylic pan faces. The product is SprayLat. Water based and about the viscosity of heavy cream. It comes in 1 galons and will cost about the same price as pint in the art supply stores.

It takes several coats and should be built up fairly thick. Spraying is the prefered method of application. Whether it will sheer as you would like is the question. I'll see if I can give it a test this week.

jhicks
04-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks Joe, So much to learn and so many signs to be made out there. Guess time, experience, experimentation, and asking for help from the true pro's is just the way it works out there. As always, your work and advice is greatly admired & appreciated.

knight_toolworks
04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I just bought some of the SprayLat I thionk thats the brand. one heavy coat may not be enough and I found the one I let fully dry the it was peeling off as I cut the sign. the one I did was nto fully dry it sayed on. but I did not have a thick neough layer and I had a very hard time removing it.
I think paste wax will work if your painting latex but not a oil based. you can just put it on with a fingertip before or after it is cut.